Orthopedics Community
Knee replacement

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee replacement

I first had knee surgery at the age of 17, dr. said for a loose knee cap. Well my knee cap was pulled down too far and has always  caused me problems, but worked through them. On March 19, 2014 I had total knee replacement and my surgeon said the inside was a mess, also my knee cap still will not be in the correct position. I know I'm only 3 weeks out but I'm have problem straightening and bending my knee no matter how hard I work. I'm negative 6 on my straightening and about 95 percent knee bend. I've had home PT twice a week and now next week going to start out patient rehab. I'm just so afraid that I'm not going to get full straightening or bending of my knee. Knew this was going to be hard and painful but just can't believe the pain when trying to straighten and bend.  I was very active before this surgery but just worked through the pain, I want to be back to my old self.
It sounds like your initial problem was patello-femoral syndrome, which could have been repaired by doing a arthroscopic lateral release. That also should have taken care of during your TKA.

I know it looks bleak, but I have First Assisted in probably close to a thousand TKA's. It takes hard, painful work. Believe me I've heard all the horror stories, you will get full mobility. You said you were 3 weeks out, let me know how it feels in 3 months! It could easily take that long! Best of wishes, jd1963!