Orthopedics Community
Knee replacement and Baker's cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Knee replacement and Baker's cyst

I have recently had my knee replaced (total). Over the time the knee was getting bad I developed a baker's cyst which came and went, was noticible but in the general scope of things not a big deal.

Since the surgery the cyst has become an impediment to doing several of the prescribed exercises especially those that work at getting the knee flattened to 0 degrees.

My question is whether there are exercises which would not so painfully aggrevate the cyst and help me flatten the knee.  What are the chances (%) of the cyst being pressured and openning? Is there any benefit in having the cyst drained while I am in this "exercise mode" of the replacement surgery?

Thank you

pookie17
i had a total knee replacement 2.5 years ago and now have developed a slight bulge behind that knee. Can you still get a bakers cyst with total knee replacement. I still have my own knee cap if that makes a difference. Thanks to any help.