LRTI Surgery with a wrist fushion
I have a fushion of the left wrist and the only joint that is mobile is the cmc joint. I have severe pain in that joint and my doctor has suggested a ligament reconstruction with tendon interpostion of the 1st cmc joint surgery. I do have arthrisit in that area as well. I am left handed which also causes problems.
I am wondering if this may harm me more, or if this will limit my range of motion. I need to know what the recovery period my be. I truely just want the pain to "go away."
this will make the pain easier not saying it will go away but in most cases it does. I have done the therapy on several of these surgeries and have had one done myself. you will be casted for 4-8 weeks depending on the surgeons aggresivness and protocal he uses. after that it is 2 weeks of splinting and no lifting then you can lift less that 5 lbs. it takes about 12 weeks after surgert until you can use your hand normal but you will have a very stiff CMC and thumb but it can come back to Full  AROM  depending on how hard you follow your exercises. it is one of the few surgeries as a hand therapy assistant that I recomind to patients. it is a good one and normaly causes little trouble after it is all said and done therapy and all.
i need LRTI surgery. I have unbearable pain and loss of normal function. I was wondering if after recovery I will be able to do the functions of my job.I was also wondering if it causes any change in the shape of the hand,I can't stand the pain anymore and it is interferring with my daily activities, such as dressing, anything that requires my thumbs and wrists. I would like to see after photos and read after surgery comments from someone who has had this surgery.
I had this surgery about 2 months ago. I really wasn't warned about the pain of the aftermath.  It is the most painful thing I have ever had done.  I just thought the pain before the surgery was bad.  I am also left handed and have worked around that to some extent. I still have so much pain driving just across the street. My other hand is beginning to hurt the same way but I can't imagine having this surgery again.