Orthopedics Community
LRTI surgery problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

LRTI surgery problem

I had LRTI (ligament reconstruction tendon interposition) surgery on Nov. 2, 07.   I had profound arthritis in the right basal thumb joint. Almost 3 months later, I still have a lot of pain especially if I accidently bump it. I cannot bend the joint. I went through therapy and have done therapy at home on a consistent basis. I can turn the key in the car ignition but that is about the extent of use. I can't lift anything requiring my wrist or finger to bend. Has anyone had this surgery and what has been your experience? Thanks!
How are you feeling?
Ligament Reconstruction Tendon Interposition is a procedure of choice for basal thumb joint pathology. The results of surgery are good in increasing the basal strength of thumb with increase in the average grip strength and average tip pinch strength.
The results of surgery are good if there is no pathology involved and if there were no complications associated with surgery.
I think you need a re-evaluation. You need to consult the surgeon back. I recommend if possible getting an imaging study and deciding regarding further course of action.
The results of surgery are good till 7-11 years post-operatively.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Thank you for feedback. I have gone back to my surgeon. He has not had this happen before. X-rays were good- surgery good. He thinks it is a possibility that I healed very fast and the 10 day immobilization stiffened the joint. I am doing therapy with electrical stimulation and manipulation to increase the flexibility. I hope this works!
Thanks for responding.
You can try Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation or Transcutaneous Electrical Muscle Stimulation.
You can try a Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator, which is an electronic device that produces electrical signals used to stimulate nerves through unbroken skin. The unit is usually connected to the skin using two or more electrodes. TENS works to decrease pain perception and may be used to control acute and chronic pain. It helps in regenerating nerve.
Simultaneously you should also be on physiotherapy to help with the muscle and to avoid any disuse atrophy.
Bye.
I had LRTI sugery a month ago and the pin was  taken out one week ago. I have had problems with severe swelling, bruising and pain from my hand to my elbow. Now I am having a problem with numbness of my thumb and palm, and tremors of my hand. Is this normal? I have an appointment scheduled for follow-up.
It could be Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome startinjg, though while uncommon needs to be seen early