Orthopedics Community
Labral Hip Tear aif compression

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Labral Hip Tear aif compression

Hi, My name is Michael I’m 19 years old and my doctor thinks I may have a Labral Tear. This has had me worried for the past 4 months since it’s happened, Because I was Training with my Recruiter to join the Marines. What I wanted to know is, What exactly do you think my percentage is of me healing 100% or good enough so that I can be able to finish boot camp? (also he said it may be something called an AIF compression, I’m not exactly sure what that is so if anybody knows that would be great.)
Maybe FAI, Femoralacetabular Impingement (sp) which is where your femoral head that goes into your hip socket it too large and can cause labral tears.  I have this, recently diagnoised and am considering surgery.  I met with a doctor for literally 15 minutes who told me I needed surgery...that isn't enough time to agree so I am going to see another doctor for a 2nd opinion.

There is tons of information on the internet for FAI, also called Hip Impingement.  So far what I have read is 50/50 for people improving.  Of course having the right doctor helps, as does having surgery before it's too bad.

Good luck.
Thansk for the reply, but i just found out my doctor told me i don't have this.. he said he dosn't know whats wrong with me so i go in for an MRI soon, i wish you the best with your surgery and i know how you feel the stress is horrible. hopeuflly they can find out whats wrong with me.
Hi! I had a labral tear. They did a bigger surgery along with fixing it but they did fix it. The way to go is arthroscopic surgery. It leaves a tiny scar and it is a short surgery. Yes, you do have to find the right doctor. An amazing doctor in New York City, if you live near there or are willing to go there, is Dr. Bryan Kelly. His website is www.bryankellymd.com and he works out of the Hospital for Special Surgeries. He is the best. You have a high outcome of healing fast because you are young and it sounds like you are in good physical shape. Don't be nervous. It is such an easy surgery. You just have to take it easy and go to physical therpay after. The stress doesn't go away, I'm sorry to tell you. You just have to push through it. It makes you sooooo frustrated and depressed to not have answers; I KNOW how you feel!! Just stick through it! You can do it! Good luck(: