Orthopedics Community
Labral Tear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Labral Tear

I have had severe pain in my left hip for a year now.  I have had the hip joint frozen twice now and the pain totally went away so am sure it is coming from the hip and not back.  The pain is a grabbing pain when I rise from a sitting position or getting in and out of the car and crossing my leg or putting on my shoe or sock is not possible.  It is very uncomfortable to sit for any length of time.  I am only comfortable when I sit with my legs straight out on the couch or in bed.  I am able to walk and stand without too much difficulty.  I have tried the usual treatments, chiropractic, acupuncture, physio with ultra-sound and cortisone shots in the bursa and in the hip joint.  The cortisone shot in the hip joint helped me with sitting but after 7 weeks have found the effects are wearing off. I have had a catscan which showed some back problems but pointed to the hip as the possible cause of pain.  The MRI of my hip showed mild arthritis and  some deterioration of the labrum.  After lots of research I strongly suspect I may have a labral tear.  My problem is I am a 64 year old female from Canadian and there are only two orthopedic surgeons that do labral repairs and I was told by a Orthopedic surgeon here that it would several years before I could get in to see one of these surgeons and have the required surgery and to forget about it as I was too old anyway.  It was suggested I just leave it until it wrecks my otherwise healthy hip and have a hip replacement.  I am very active and healthy so this was not an option.  I have contacted a hospital in New York City and am going for a consultation and diagnosis in 3 weeks.  If in fact it is a labral tear the cost of the surgeon and hospital are very high.  I plan on submitting this information to my Ontario  Health Care Plan to see if they will help out with this all or in part since it is not available to me here. Has anyone else from Canada gone to the states for surgery?  Was it approved by your provincial health care plan?  Does anyone else out there have the same symptoms as I am experiencing?  

It is good reading your post.  I am having the same problem and I am looking for a surgeon that specialized in hip labral tears.  Do you by chance have the names of those 2 doctors?
hello im garry, having read your post i got the same symptoms as yourself, i had dye injected into my hip and an mri done it showed up a massive ladral tear and was told surgery was the way forward i,v now been waiting for 10 weeks and still heard nothing, although im from the UK and in the airforce i shouldnt have to wait much longer for the operation i hope, your post went up a while ago so  how have thing progressed for you, im 30 by the way.
I live in Mpls and have had 2 hip labral repair surgeries - one on each hip - Dr Chris Larson is one of the best and he's located right here in mpls.  He also has a great group of PTs that he recommends and that really has made all the difference for me.