Orthopedics Community
Labral tear and bone cyst

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Labral tear and bone cyst

Hello, I have been having swelling and pain in my left leg on and off for over 3 years. I have seen four doctors for it. The fourth doctor diagnosed it as Bursitis and put me on prednisone to help the inflammation. Well the prednisone sent me into a whole nother world of pain, I ended up in urgent care. So I went to see my fifth doctor an ortho with a hip specialty who did x-rays and a gad MRI and found a moderate sized bone cyst and a labral tear. He is recommended 2 months of PT and if it's still painful to discuss surgical options. My issue is I am still in a LOT of pain and I work 10-14 hour days on my feet, very physical job. The PT can't get me in until the middle of this month. My big question, what is usually done to fix a bone cyst and what is the odds this can be repaired without surgery?
Hi!
What you have is probably a subchondral cyst or a synovial cyst (less likely as it is diagnosed as a bone cyst) of the hip joint with labral tears. Sunchondral cysts are the result of osteoarthritis and usually go away with conservative treatment. You may need to take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications and avoid activities that irritate the hip joint.
Usually the damage to labrum is in form of a tear. It can happen due to injury or overuse of hip joint. Usually you will hear a pop sound or get a ‘catch’ sensation when you do certain hip movements. Torn labrum heals by itself with aid of pain medication, steroid injections and physiotherapy.  Physiotherapy is given to strengthen your muscles and to remove the pressure off the labrum. The labrum basically deepens the joint socket to hold the bones in place. The other function is supporting the attachment of various ligaments and tendons around the labrum. The healing takes about 4-6 weeks and then another 4-6 weeks are needed for the labrum to become strong. The physiotherapy meanwhile teaches you to move the joint without hurting the labrum. It is required to overcome the stiffness which would otherwise occur when the joint is not in use.  With time (this can vary from person to person) most people regain full motion of the hip joint and can return to previous sports or activity level. Corticosteroid injections are also given into the joint. Surgery is contemplated if conservative measurements do not help.
If you have a job that needs a lot of physical activity then you may need to consult a occupational therapist to learn how you can do the job without straining your hip much. Otherwise you may need a change in job profile. Please discuss this with your treating doc.
Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.