Laminectomy L3-S1 info?
My Doc. is telling me I need a Laminectomy done from L3-S1. What I would like to know if any one has had this done and not have a fushion done at the same time? he is telling me I need to have a Anterior lumbar inter body fusion and posterior instrumental fusion done when the laminectomy is done, To minimize backpaine and unstableness. I do have 3 disks with herniation. I just want to make sure it is in my best intrest to do the whole thing in one shoot. I don't want to do the laminectomy then need to go back in and do the fusion with-in one to two years. thanks for any info.
I had lamenectomy in 1979 and have had  no trouble.
I had bone fusion done in June/1999 and it was schedualed to be done together with the lamenctomy but due to a complication wth the fracture on L-4 the bone fusion got extended longer than anticipated and dr decided not to do the lamenectomy and see ifthe bone fusion worked by it self, not being the condition I had to end up doing the lamenectomy 6 months later. If you trust your Dr. to be a good Dr I would recommend you to have it done at the same time. but most off all I will advise youto trust in the Lord God to have control over the hands of the surgeon and everything will be a success. my surgery was from L-4 -- S-1.