Orthopedics Community
Laminectomy L3-S1 info?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Laminectomy L3-S1 info?

My Doc. is telling me I need a Laminectomy done from L3-S1. What I would like to know if any one has had this done and not have a fushion done at the same time? he is telling me I need to have a Anterior lumbar inter body fusion and posterior instrumental fusion done when the laminectomy is done, To minimize backpaine and unstableness. I do have 3 disks with herniation. I just want to make sure it is in my best intrest to do the whole thing in one shoot. I don't want to do the laminectomy then need to go back in and do the fusion with-in one to two years. thanks for any info.
I had lamenectomy in 1979 and have had  no trouble.
I had bone fusion done in June/1999 and it was schedualed to be done together with the lamenctomy but due to a complication wth the fracture on L-4 the bone fusion got extended longer than anticipated and dr decided not to do the lamenectomy and see ifthe bone fusion worked by it self, not being the condition I had to end up doing the lamenectomy 6 months later. If you trust your Dr. to be a good Dr I would recommend you to have it done at the same time. but most off all I will advise youto trust in the Lord God to have control over the hands of the surgeon and everything will be a success. my surgery was from L-4 -- S-1.