Large right thigh lipoma
My daughter is 18 years and recently had an MRI of her right thigh because she noticed that her right thigh is significantly larger then her left thigh.
I am not sure how long her thigh has been that way, but what I do remember is that in 2007 she had an x-ray of her left knee and I would think that we would have had an x-ray or an MRI if she had complained of pain or numbness to her toes. She is complaining of pain so much as she complains of numbness to her right toes. The MRI showed the she has an intertwined lipoma into the muscle. The orthopedist stated that is nothing we can do! I am hoping and in need of advise. Please I am need of some one to share any information and advise or maybe a specialist in lipomas.
Respectfully,
A mom feeling very guilty

Hi there!

Well, an intramuscular lipoma/ myelolipoma is a rare condition and the only management described is a marginal resection. If this is the cause of symptom like pain or numbness due to pressure on the surrounding structures a resection may be considered but one must keep in mind that this would affect normal stability and/ or mobility, depending on the muscle involved, which may or may not result in a situation to be managed by other surgical techniques. Well at this stage it would be difficult for me to comment further without knowing the exact relevant clinical details. I would suggest getting a second opinion from another orthopedician, preferably at a university/ teaching hospital to get his/ her views on the situation.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Thank you for time and advise, my daughters case will be presented to the tumor board on Tuesday 9/6/11.

Respectfully,

Silvia Barragan