Orthopedics Community
Lateral Thigh Pain and Numbness

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Lateral Thigh Pain and Numbness

About 1.5 weeks ago I began experiencing pain in the lateral portion of my right thigh.  During the day (while seated or standing) the pain is very slight.  At night after I have been lying for several hours it worsens and is accompanied by a sensation of numbness.  I find that if I lie on my left side it subsides.  Of couse after I fall back to sleep and my position changes it returns.  
I am 27 y/o and in excellent shape.  I workout (strength and cardio) 5+ days per week.  Prior to the pain I had increased the intensity of my workouts (adding some plyometrics and more intense athletic conditioning).  I do not recall any acute injury.  The pain just kind of creptup.  Now it has become an issue because it is affecting my workouts and obviously my sleep.
I noticed that my iliosoas muscle is slightly tender.  
Aside from the obviously RICE type treatment and stretching, is there any thing else I can do?
This may be sciatica and if so you will need to let your back rest and then strengthen the muscles in your back.
I am a massage therapist working with a woman with the exact same pain you are describing.  Has anything helped you?
Meralgia parastheica?

-Dave
http://www.berkshirecard.com