Lateral Thigh Pain and Numbness
About 1.5 weeks ago I began experiencing pain in the lateral portion of my right thigh.  During the day (while seated or standing) the pain is very slight.  At night after I have been lying for several hours it worsens and is accompanied by a sensation of numbness.  I find that if I lie on my left side it subsides.  Of couse after I fall back to sleep and my position changes it returns.  
I am 27 y/o and in excellent shape.  I workout (strength and cardio) 5+ days per week.  Prior to the pain I had increased the intensity of my workouts (adding some plyometrics and more intense athletic conditioning).  I do not recall any acute injury.  The pain just kind of creptup.  Now it has become an issue because it is affecting my workouts and obviously my sleep.
I noticed that my iliosoas muscle is slightly tender.  
Aside from the obviously RICE type treatment and stretching, is there any thing else I can do?
This may be sciatica and if so you will need to let your back rest and then strengthen the muscles in your back.
I am a massage therapist working with a woman with the exact same pain you are describing.  Has anything helped you?
Meralgia parastheica?

-Dave
http://www.berkshirecard.com