Left Clavicle Fracture
I'm 34 Years old male software professional. I met an accident 6 days back and the left clavicle fractured at 1/3 rd distance from the left arm and about 2/3 rd distance from the chest ribs (i.e. more close to the arm joint) and the smaller part came down below the larger part in such a way that the upper portion of the smaller part and the lower portion of the larger part are in touch with each other. Doctor has suggested to keep the arm in Foam Sling (L) and prescribed following medicines:
1. Zerodol P
2. Pantium 40
3. Gemcal
He has suggested for a 2nd X-ray after 2 weeks to see the improvement. As per him chances are there for joining without surgery and I can do normal work afterwards and if I need a very close to normal situation then after 6 weeks he will go for surgery and after required fitting of the bones he will fix it with platinum plate support. Now my question is can it really fit without surgery? If yes, then can I get full support with such abnormal joining ? Isn't it wise to go for an early surgery instead of waiting 6 weeks ? Isn't it possible to go for the surgery before 6 weeks ? As per Doctor surgery isn't possible before 6 weeks. Is it really so ? I feel that surgery at a later stage can create much more criticality.
Any helpful opinion will be highly appreciated.
Regards,
PRADIP CHAKRABORTY.
Hi, more than 90% of clavicle fractures are successfully healed by non-surgical treatment. The surgery is indicated in case of impending of the fracture site penetrating the skin, associated  nerve and vessel injuries,  symptomatic or painful nonunion and if fracture threatens the ligament of acromioclavicular joint.

Surgical intervention in the region of the clavicle is usually avoided if possible, due to various important anatomical structures beneath it.

Usually after two to three months the clavicle regains it strength back to normal, with full recovery in 5-6 months.

Thanks a lot for your valuable comments and the information provided. 2nd X-ray after 14 days shows signs of early callus formation. I'm not opting surgery, waiting for natural healing.
I am 54 yrs female, last yr I fell down the stairs and noticed protuding rt clavicle, My Dr. couldn't find anything and he refered me to the specialist, he x rayed but said there is nothing to worry about but he is going to sent me for CT scan. Meanwhile I have started feeling pain in my rt side of the throat while swallowing and sometimes my ear aches also. Can anybody help me, letting me know is this could be because of clavicle protursion and what are they going to look for in CT Scan
Simmi
Simmi
Hello!

In a CT scan they can look into all the softer tissues better than the bone which can be revealed perfectly by an X-ray.

They can know if you have any problem with thyroid and also they can rule out salivary gland problems.
With enlargement of the thyroid it is difficult for swallowing and also the ear aches may be due to the growth of a salivary gland.

This is basically for diagnosing of your symptoms and he is pretty sure about your clavicle after he saw the X-ray report.

Take care!