Orthopedics Community
Left side lower back/hip pain caused by driving manual car.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am a 26 yr old male who have been struggling with pain in my left side hip/lowerback which i believe was caused by driving my manual car for almost 2 yrs. i noticed later that my clutch was too far back compared to my brake and gas pedal. hence, i had to slouch and tilt my pelvis everytime i had to reach for the clutch. of course, i got rid of the car, however it's been more than 2yrs since i got a new automatic car and went through various physical therapy/chiropractor... and unfortunately its not getting better.

the pain is more like a chronic/dull aching pain along my left hip and buttock. i have noticed that my hamstrings and IT band are very tight and i feel like the tight hamstrings are pulling on my lower back causing this pain.  i have been trying as much as i can to stretch/lengthen my thigh muscles.. however, it's been months and still no luck.  when in rotation, i would hear popping noises in my hip which led me to think of "snapping hip syndrome".

the pain gets worse when iam sitting down... it got so bad to a point where i had to quit my office job.
now iam jobless/insurance less.

Please let me know if you know anyone that has similar pains caused by driving or have any advices.

thank you!
Aaron
Hi Aaron,
How are you feeling now?
Low back pain is the most common musculoskeletal condition, is responsible for the loss of 17 million work days per year in the United States and ~$60 billion of the annual U.S. health care budget according to a study reported by McCulloch J and Transfeldt E, titled as Epidemiology and natural history of spondylogenic backache in Macnab’s Backache textbook, 3rd ed in 1997.
Pathologic back pain can originate within the spine (spondylogenic or neurogenic) or outside the spine (viscerogenic, vascular, or psychogenic).
I feel the cause could be due to Micro fractures, Dislocations of hip, Herniated discs or any Ligament tear.
Other causes which are a possibility are Degenerative disc disease or inflammatory arthritis.
Pain with extension is common in patients with facet joint arthritis and spinal stenosis is occurring for you. (I have noticed that my hamstrings and IT band are very tight and i feel like the tight hamstrings are pulling on my lower back causing this pain)
CT and MRI scans (alone or in combination) are useful for detecting and localizing structural abnormalities precisely.
I think you should be seeing an orthopaedician to evaluate your condition and arrive at a diagnosis.
Initial conservative management including pain killers and mild physical therapy to increase your range of motion should be started.
I am not sure that without insurance how you are going to go about it.
A meeting with an orthopaedician is essential.
Keep me informed about your disease progression and do ask us if we can be of any help for your queries.