Orthopedics Community
Leg swelling after surgery.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Leg swelling after surgery.

My aunt had surgery done on her knee about 2 months ago. She has not been able to go to the doctor because of insurance reasons. Now her leg swollen from the thigh down to her toes and it is a purplish color. This is very concerning to me. I am not sure if it is fluid built up or if there is something seriously wrong with it. She had her knee broken in a car accident. She does not have a cast on it but she does wear a hinged brace. She can bend it a little but she says it is painful sometimes. The last time she did go to the doctor, they told her not to put any weight on it. I think that was about a month ago. Should I make her go to the doctor or wait for the swelling to go down?

she should see the doctor again. when i was post-op i had to see the doctor a week after my surgery, then a month after that, and now every month. she should be trying to see her doctor as regularly as possible (based off when he/she requests a follow-up appointment). i don't really have any suggestions for the insurance issues, but you could always try to get to a free clinic and have her leg checked out.

I broke my leg and had surgery over 8 to 9 months ago and this leg is still swollen.  What can I do to reduce the swelling so I can wear my boots again. Thanks.