Leg swelling after surgery.
My aunt had surgery done on her knee about 2 months ago. She has not been able to go to the doctor because of insurance reasons. Now her leg swollen from the thigh down to her toes and it is a purplish color. This is very concerning to me. I am not sure if it is fluid built up or if there is something seriously wrong with it. She had her knee broken in a car accident. She does not have a cast on it but she does wear a hinged brace. She can bend it a little but she says it is painful sometimes. The last time she did go to the doctor, they told her not to put any weight on it. I think that was about a month ago. Should I make her go to the doctor or wait for the swelling to go down?

she should see the doctor again. when i was post-op i had to see the doctor a week after my surgery, then a month after that, and now every month. she should be trying to see her doctor as regularly as possible (based off when he/she requests a follow-up appointment). i don't really have any suggestions for the insurance issues, but you could always try to get to a free clinic and have her leg checked out.

I broke my leg and had surgery over 8 to 9 months ago and this leg is still swollen.  What can I do to reduce the swelling so I can wear my boots again. Thanks.