Ligament / muscle pain years after ankle sprain
I've been doing a lot of research on this and couldn't find anything that really related to what I'm experiencing specifically.
Almost 18 years ago I sprained my left ankle when I fell on some ice while carrying things. I'm sure there is a name for the type of sprain but I don't know it. The foot went outside, not inside like most sprains. It's the only time I've sprained that ankle but it seemed quite severe. I could put almost no weight on it at all. They gave me crutches to use and it was nearly two weeks before I was able to walk somewhat normally.

Now, 18 years later I still get pain. I notice it most at work where I spend a lot of time on my feet. What happens is I'll take a break or lunch. For the next 5-10 minutes AFTER my break or lunch when I get up to walk I have quite a bit of pain along the outside of my ankle going up to the lower part of my leg and backside too. Pain very much like a fresh sprain. It's enough to make me limp when I walk.
There's no popping or other such abnormalities which is what I found with other people in my research. It just feels very very sore. Seems to particularly bad this winter as compared to other years.

I'm just curious what causes this pain nearly two decades later and what kind of treatments are available.
Hello!

The most common injuries of the ankle are the lateral or outer side of the ankle by twisting the ankle to the inner side and here lateral collateral ligament is involved. In your case as you have the opposite then I would suspect you injured medial collateral ligaments of the ankle as the foot went outside. . it is a strong ligament and has superficial and deep part. Get your ankle examined and also go for an MRI as you have a chronic injury. X-ray can diagnose bony injuries. Based on the diagnosis you can go for treatment. Apply ice packs and also take intermittent pain killers.

Take care!