Orthopedics Community
Long Carpal Tunnel Surgery Recovery
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Long Carpal Tunnel Surgery Recovery

I had bilateral open carpal tunnel surgery two months ago. Mine was a little difficult for the doctors to diagnose as I had no numbness, just night pain and sore aching, weak hands. No phalen's or tingel's sign, but EMG and nerve conduction studies indicated I have severe compression at both wrists. I also had full blood work, xrays, and an MRI--everything was normal. My question is this:

My hand surgeon said that when he performed the surgery he could see the nerve was severly compressed. I felt immediate relief after the surgery, very little pain, etc. But now two months after the procedure, my hands are very tender and sore, radiating through the fingers along with some tingling, which is very similar to my pre-operation symptoms. I have visited my surgeon who says that I'm healing fine and that this is completely normal and some patients take longer to heal than others. That's all fine and dandy but I'm curious as to why 8 weeks after the surgery the symptoms of my CTS have returned. Has anyone had a similar experience or can I get another doctors input?