Orthopedics Community
Loss of Range of Motion in shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Loss of Range of Motion in shoulder

This has been going on for about 4 months...  I think it happened after doing way too many pull ups at the gym one day.  That is the only thing I can think of that would have done this, because that night is when I lost range of motion.
The issue is mainly when I try to raise my arm up to the front, I cant get it above shoulder height, and it takes some effort.  Also, when I raise my arm, my shoulder blade wings out terribly, which it has never done before.
     How are you? A winged scapula is a shoulder injury or condition in which the scapula or shoulder blade sticks out at the back, particular when pushing against something such as a wall. Usual complaints remain pain on lifting over the head, winging of the scapula, limited shoulder elevation.
A winged scapula is associated with damage or a contusion to the long thoracic nerve of the shoulder and / or weakness in the serratus anterior muscle. A full rehabilitation programme to strengthen the shoulder and  in particular the serratus anterior muscle is required.
Seek professional advice, particularly if the shoulder does not respond to strengthening exercises. Initial treatment is usually conservative but occasionally surgery may be performed if this fails.
All the best.