Orthopedics Community
Low Back Pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Low Back Pain

My L4 and L5 are frozen and fused and the pain is unreal  I have had a procedure of shots to the facets on the back of my spine and it worked for about three months and now because of inability to take certain meds  I have a compound med that I rub on my back in the painful areas and it does work to ease the pain  it has five different meds included...my question is...is this all that can be done for this condition...I am 70 so I dont really see surgery as an option..I have such a feeling of pressure in my back when I walk very long that I will get to where I cant stand it and cant walk any further...I tried the tredmill and it just aggrevated the situation..I cant shop, or enjoy an outings because I cant stay on my feet very long   If I force my self to walk longer distances I get black and blue all over my lower back area...Advice Please  
Hi!
If applying local pain medication eases your pain, then you can opt for physiotherapy. This will also ease the tension from lower back muscles. Apart from this, simple non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications with muscle relaxants should help. You can use a heat pad too. Wearing a lumbar corset may also help. Please discuss these options with your doctor to check what would suit you best. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.