Orthopedics Community
Low back pain, radiating to hips/legs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Low back pain, radiating to hips/legs

I apologize in advance for the length of this note but I'm extremely frustrated to say the least and have included MRI results. Some of this is a bit of overflow from a prev. post from February but as I said, I now have MRI results.
History overview: daughter born, natural delivery, 1998; uncertain of exact time pain started afterwards but do remember c/o rt hip pain to chiropractor in 2001 as he did nothing to help, not even reassess.  Pain in rt hip at that time caused me to limp.  
Changed chiropractors early in 2002 and he discovered a muscle that was in spasm and corrected that problem, however, I was also doing in-home nursing care at the time and both driving and caring for a 15-yr-old male taller than myself caused pain to return so relief from Tx was short-lived.  
By 2003 I'd had enough of the pain and finally asked my Dr to x-ray the hip and he said it was probably low back so we x-rayed that instead.  It showed a transitional lumbosacral vertebra and I was told this is common and doesn't usually cause pain.  
Since then, my pain has increased and has started radiating more than it used it. I always have at least a dull ache in my lower spine but the main source of pain seems to be high in the rt gluteus, into the hip and down the lateral rt thigh.  
I've been having greater difficulty with sitting for any length of time since September 2007 which is what has caused me to try and find out what, if anything can be done and what is causing the pain.  I've had 3 MRI's--lumbar spine, bilat. hips and the results are as follows:

Lumbar Spine (Sagittal & axial T1W & T2W images)
Six lumbar-type vertebrae are noted, with the lower most lumbar vertebra labelled L6 on our study.  The lumbar spine is of good alignment.  The tip of the conus is at the level of the upper L2 vertebral body, which is within normal limits.
At the L1-L2 level, mild degenerative changes are noted, associated with mild disc space narrowing, small Schmorl's node, and tiny anterior osteophytes.
The L2-L3 level, L3-L4 level and L4-L5 level appear normal.
At the L5-L6 level, mild degenerative changes are noted, associated with mild disc space narrowing, decreased signal intensity and a disc bulge.
At the L6-S1 level, a rudimentary disc is present.
INTERPRETATION
Six lumbar-type vertebrae are noted.  At the L1-L2, and L5-L6 levels, mild degenerative changes are noted.  A mild disc bulge is noted at the L5-L6 level.  No lumbar disc herniation or foraminal stenosis can be demonstrated.

Right Hip (Axial & coronal T1W and T2W images as well as sagittal T1W)
The right femoral head and acetaqbular roof appear unremarkable.  A small amount of fluid is noted in the right hip joint, and this is within normal limits.  Minimal increased T2W signal intensities may also be present just lateral and adjacent to the greater trochanter.  The possibility of minimal greater trochanteric bursitis is raised, but clinical correlation is suggested.  The surrounding soft tissue appears otherwise unremarkable.
INTERPRETATION
No significant abnormality can be demonstrated.  There may be minimal fluid adjacent and lateral to the greater trochanter, and the possibility of minimal greater trochanteric bursitis is raised.  Clinical correlation is strongly suggested.

Lt Hip (Same images obtained as rt hip)
The left femoral head and acetabular roof appear unremarkable.  A small amount of fluid is noted in the left hip joint and this may be within normal limits.  There may be minimal cartilage loss along the posterior aspect of the left hip, possibly related to very early degenerative changes.  No other significant finding is seen.
Review of magnetic resonance imaging of the right hip done 19/3/2008 alos shows mild cartilage loss involving the posterior aspect and this would be consistent with very early denerative changes.  

INTERPRETATION
Minor cartilage loss may be present along the posterior aspect of the left hip, consistent with very early degenerative changes.  The left  hip appears otherwise unremarkable.  The small amount of fluid in the left hip joint is probably within normal limits.
Mild cartilage loss may be present along the posterior aspect of the right hip and this would be consistent with very early degenerative changes in this area.

I have been told the pain is being caused due to pressure on the nerve, most likely due to the L6 and rudimentary disc.  My chiropractor seems to think all the pain is muscular.  Sitting for any length of time greatly aggravates the rt hip and the pain will start radiating down my right leg.  The left-sided pain is usually compensatory except when I've been sitting too long and the pain is bilat.  
I want to know if there is something that can be done, by myself, a surgeon, etc, to relieve the pain I'm experiencing.  I roll out of bed in the morning, I will sometimes lose my balance in the shower because I can't shift my wt to the rt side, I can't take a walk, I can't ride a bike and if I do any of these things, I won't get out of bed the next morning.  My ADL as well as quality of life are beginning to suffer greatly because of this.
I have been referred to a surgeon (almost 4 weeks ago) and have not yet heard when the appointment will be, but as an office RN it will be close to 8 months from now.
I hope someone can help me at least start in the right direction.
Thank you for your time.
Pam
Hi, probably it is due to lumbar disc bulge along with degenerative changes in the spine. Try physiotherapy, hot compressions, topical counterirritants etc for pain. Nerve compression due to herniated disc is causing pain in limbs.

For more information, visit http://www.patient.co.uk/showdoc/27000885/