Orthopedics Community
Lower back pain 24/7 for 3 years in 18 year old?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I've had lower back pain for approx. 3 years. My back hurts 24/7 but the pain levels vary depending on what I'm doing/what part of the day it is. I'm 18 years old, female, 5"2 and 130 pounds. My lower back hurts constantly, other parts of my back hurt to be touched.

I have scoliosis (6 degree) in the upper half of my spine, between my shoulder blades (I don't know the exact spot). Because of the scoliosis (according to the back specialist), my pelvic bone (or hips?) is like slanted. You can feel and see this. One leg is longer then the other and I have flat feet. I have custom orthopedic shoe inserts for my feet, I've had them for 3 years. My physiotherapist says I have imbalanced muscles. When I have my spine poked/pushed on where the scoliosis is, it hurts quite a bit. It hurts a lot to push on the right side of my pelvic bone (on my right side), but not as much on the left side. If I put my hands around my sides, with my hands resting on top of my pelvic bone and my thumbs on my back, it hurts a lot of push in with my thumbs. If I move my thumbs down a bit, it hurts a lot, but it's a different type of pain. The only places it doesn't hurt to push on my back is at the very top and horizontally across the middle. When I stand on my toes, my ankles crack. When I lift my leg up, something (hips, pelvis?) cracks 2-3 times when I put it down. My knees hurt when I go upstairs (not all the time), and start hurting after walking on hard ground for a while (not all the time). My knees also grind sometimes (psysio's helped a lot with them). When I lay on my stomach, my back will start to hurt after a while. When I lay on my back, I get a sharp pain in my abdomen. I sleep in weird ways to get comfortable (example: having left leg straight down and right leg bent and up near my face while laying on my stomach). My back hurts when I use the washroom, it feels like a lot of pressure on my back. I constantly feel the need to rub my lower back, which makes it feel better. I've had to quit Tae Kwon Do and Track & Field because of my back/knees

I have a lump/swollen spot (something), on my lower back where the pain is. I've had it for the same amount of time as the pain. Around April, the lump/swollen spot lowered a bit and has gone down in swelling. I haven't gained or lost any weight. The swollen spot is right above my butt. It's about 3" long and 1/4 high or less. When I push on it, it doesn't hurt and I can feel my bone right under it. The more active I am, the more swollen it gets. If I put one finger on the middle of each bum cheek, then move my fingers up so they are on my back right above my bum, it hurts to push in. If I put my fingers on both sides of the swollen area and push in, it hurts. If I put my fingers under the swollen area and push in and up, it hurts. But it doesn't hurt to push my fingers above the swollen area. I get a random sharp pain on my right side near the top of my pelvic bone sometimes and it lasts for 5-10 minutes. When I bend over, touching all the spots mentioned above don't hurt, other then the scoliosis section of my spine. I can bend perfectly fine to the right, but not the left. I can hardly bend at all to the left because my pelvic bone feels like it's hitting something (rib?).

I've had 3 ultra-sounds, 4 x-rays and a MRI all within the last year, they've all showed up normal (other then the scoliosis).

I saw my back "specialist" twice. The first time I literally saw her for like 30 seconds. She had her student doctor do everything, and came in at the end and said she'd send me for an MRI. The second time (today), I saw her for like 5 minutes. She said my scoliosis is stable so I don't need to see her again, the "swollen spot" is a buildup of tissue/fat, and it hurts because "Everyone's back hurts sometimes." She said to lose weight, and it will stop hurting. That doesn't explain why the lump gets bigger and smaller, if it's fat it wouldn't. That doesn't explain why it hurts 24/7. Or why it hurts to push on the bones/joints when it never did before. I'm not overweight either. She didn't even say anything about pain meds.

Nothing was resolved from seeing the specialist, and there is clearly a problem. My physiotherapist said if the problem wasn't fixed, I wouldn't be able to walk by the time I'm 24-30, based on whatever she could tell about the bones/muscles/structure. The pysio helped my knees, but not my back at all. I'm going to try a different physiotherapist because I get 10 free sessions so why not, but I don't think it will help.

Tags: Lower Back Pain, lower, old, 18, years, Pain, 18 year old, lower back, 18 years, 3 years, 24/7, cracking bones, Scoliosis
Hi there!

Yours sounds like more than a single issue and I am unsure about the swelling that you describe at your back and if is related to the vertebral column or is a soft tissue swelling, which could or could not be related to your symptoms. Also if the swelling is indeed a lipoma or a fat lump, one would not expect it to grow smaller in size. Also the back isn’t the area where one would normally expect lipomas, though it is a possibility. The discomfort in your knees and ankles could be a separate issue or could be related to the scoliosis, but without an evaluation, it would be difficult to tell. If the scoliosis isn’t severe most cases are managed conservatively with physiotherapy, bracing etc. Well, the best advice I can give you in such a situation is to seek a second opinion with another orthopedician with the imaging tests (USG, X-rays, MRI) you have had in the past year. If the second doctor has the same opinion, scoliosis might be the only issue and an appropriate conservative management plan can be worked out accordingly.
Hope this helps.

Take care!