Orthopedics Community
Lump near ankle...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Lump near ankle...

I found a small lump about 1 cm. in diameter under my ankle bone a few months ago. So I seen an orthopedic surgeon about it. She did an x-ray and said it was a peroneal tuberosity or possible ganglion cyst. She said the x-ray didn't show calcification. She did not biopsy it or order an MRI, & sent me home. She said nothing to worry about. I got a second opinion from a podiatrist. He felt of the lump & area, and said it could be a small cyst that devleoped on my tendon after injury (i sprained it a few months ago), but he wasn't sure. He did an x-ray & said it showed soft tissue calcification. He said the lump was too small to biopsy. He is ordering an MRI for further evaluation. The lump isn't painful itself, but when pressed or bothered makes me ankle area hurt & ache. I'm confused. Does this sound like cancer? What should I do? I'm 29 & female.
I also forgot to add, the podiatrist said the lump felt kind of "moveable" when he felt of it.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

It does not sound like cancer.

The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of ankle lump. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your podiatrist orthopedician based on your symptoms to diagnose it properly:

Ganglion, osteoarthritis, infection, aneurysm, fracture, callus formation, scar tissue, ankle injury

Take care!
Thanks for yor reply. What are other possible causes of soft tissue calcification along with a lump on x-rays?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hello!

Tumors, benign and cancerous are cause of soft tissue calcification.Ankle cyst is another cause of calcification. Synovial sarcomas often contain flecks of calcification which may be evident on the plain film before there is a palpable lump.

Take care!
Ok, thank you doctor. You have eased my mind some until I can get a proper diagnosis. :)
Hi I was reading your post and have the same issue, I Have two small lumps almost as hard as bone,one less than i centimeter away from my ankle and another futher down. They sprung up last summer, I thought they would go away since i had issues with my feet before. I work in a library and run so im on my feet quite often. I have some discomfort when i rotate my ankle because of one of the lumps is so close to the joint. I was wondering what ur diagnosis was to maybe help me.
I have the same thing, feels like a small marble under the skin just below the inside my ankle bone. I am going to the Dr. in a few days to see what it is. I will come back and let you know.
I have a lump on my left ankle and it is weak and cold to touch. i also had numbness and tingling. Went to er and they thought it might be clot, but further testing (u/s) proved it not to be. I then followed up with PCP and she thinks its a lipoma, I have a MRI scheduled for friday. Its such a weird feeling, No pain but just weakness and cold to touch. My doc that I work with said it could have something to do with my back. I have had two back surgeries and I now have 6 screws in my lower lumbar. L4 -S1.

Give me some insight please
I have hade two lumps on my left ankle for the past 9 months, which I was told 8 months ago I was told by a hands and arm plastic surgeon that the one lump was filled with fluid and the other was a bone chip.  He suggested to my family doctor to send me to a  Orthopedic surgeon since he doesn't do feet. Since then I haven't seen a doctor because the Orthopedic surgeon says this is a job for Plastic surgeon. Meanwhile these lumps can be very painful, if I press on them for example resting my leg on the couch within seconds it could become very painful. I also have the constant pins and needles which my doctor prescribed lyric, but I had to stop because I had a sever reaction. My entire body swelled up and I could not urinate. I also get a burning sensation, I also get swelling not only in the lump area but the whole ankle itself. Also on the skin on top of the lumps the colour has changed in the last few months it has changed to the colour blue which is really concerning me. I am still waiting for that appointment with the Plastic surgeon, my Family doctor keeps assuring me I'm on the top of some list but I'm losing hope and in terrible pain. Have you heard anything like this before? And do you know if after everything is fixed is the nerve damage going to be permanent?  
I also have a bump above my ankle and it's cold to the touch.  I just noticed it and it's the size of a marble.  I'm not sure if it just appeared or if it grew gradually.  I'm a little worried about it.  Have you seen a doctor?