Orthopedics Community
Lump on finger after injury

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Lump on finger after injury

Just under 3 weeks ago, the 'pinky' on my right hand was injured in an accident. Someone accidentally fell on it, forcing it almost completely backwards.

Whilst it did hurt a lot, swell and bruise at the time, I didn't lose mobility and was able to apply pressure to the tip without pain. So, I figured it wasn't broken (particularly as it was still straight).

Since then the swelling has reduced, the bruising has disappeared and the pain has eased significantly. However, it is still incredibly stiff and I cannot completely curl the finger to make a tight fist and a lump has developed towards the right hand side of the joint closest to the tip of the finger. It appears solid, and is a little painful in this area if pressed, or when the finger is flexed.

Is this something I should get checked out with the doctor? Or is it most likely all muscular and will heal over time? I feel silly going to the doctor about it, if it just needs time.

Thank you for your time and help.