Lumps on outside of legs
At my 9 yo daughters yearly well visit the PA mentioned these bony bumps on my daughters legs. They are on both legs, on the outside just below the knee. They have been there as long as I can remember and I just assumed that they were normal and that was the way she was built. They cause her no pain and don't interfere with any activity but the PA made such a big deal about it and said she had never seen it like that before so, of course, now I am worrying. I guess the bumps are where the top of her fibula would be. I can feel them in my own leg but they don't protrude like hers do.  She is very tall and slender for her age and tends to stand with her knees in a locked, almost hyperextended, position. The PA also commented that she is slightly "knock-kneed". I had never noticed, nor had anyone else ever commented. The PA said she didn't think it was anythign to worry about but I have made an appt with and ortho Dr. in a few weeks. I am just wondering if anyone knows what this might be, and if it's normal for a child. I'd like to not have to worry while I am waiting for our appt.
I am an athletic trainer and I deal with orthopedic stuff every day. Unless these bumps are painful, I wouldn't worry about it! Don't fix what isn't broken. Especially since the bumps are bilateral (meaning on both legs) I am sure you are right...just the way God made her! I have seen kids with more pronounced fibular heads and I have seen MANY kids that are "knock-kneed". As long as she is pain free, I really truly wouldn't worry. Occasionally the knock-kneedness can cause back and hip pain in the future, so that may be something you ask the ortho about. Sometimes certian orthotics (shoe inserts) can help with this and a lot of ortho's make them in their office. Good luck!! Let us know how it goes!
For such lumps below the knees, erythema nodosum needs to be ruled out. Erythema nodosum is a type of skin inflammation that is located in a certain portion of the fatty layer of skin. It results in reddish, painful, tender lumps most commonly located in the front of the legs below the knees.

Diagnosis is by physical examination and biopsy of the lesion. Other lab investigations like complete blood count, ESR, ASO titer, urinalysis, throat culture, intradermal tuberculin test, and chest x-ray may also be done.

I would recommend a physician/dermatologist’s evaluation. Treatment depends on the confirmation of diagnosis. It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.