Orthopedics Community
MR shoulder Arthrogram** How painful is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I am scheduled for a MR shoulder Arthrogram next week and was wondering if anyone has had this type of MRI? Is it very painful when they do the injection? I am terrified of needles so very anxious about this test. Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you.
I have never had an arhtrogram on my shoulder, but did have one many, many, many years ago on my knee (back in the 70's).  For me, it was quite painful and I also had trouble with my knee giving out on me after the procedure (I was on crutches, but any time I would attempt to put weight on my leg, it would basically collapse - something that wasn't happening before the procedure.)  I'm sure they have definitely improved the arthrograms over the years, so I wouldn't take my experience to heart too much.  If you are really nervouse about it, perhaps you could ask your doctor if he/she would prescribe a mild sedative before you go to have it done - something just enough to help relax you - which in itself will make the procedure less painful because if you tense up, they will not only have more trouble finding the right spot for the needle, but also could cause painful muscle spasms.  Of course, if your doctor does give you something to relax you, you should definitely have someone drive you to and from teh appointment.

Good Luck!
I am having an arthrogram of my shoulder next week.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.