Orthopedics Community
Medial Elbow pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Medial Elbow pain

19yr male. as of June 2006 i have been experiencing elbow pain. prior the only pain was onset of golfers elbow maybe once or twice for a week at a time. Pain got much more serious after lifting bags of garden soil at work. A strong pinch in the left elbow near medial zone, consistently hurt for a couple of days then slowly subsided to a constant pain that i still have today. went to doctors x-ray mri, nothing they had me diagnosed with medial epecondilitis went through occupational therapy.....nothing no change still a sharp pain at certain times when lifting and almost always a 4 out of 10 ache sometimes reaching 6-7 with no activities that i could pinpoint.  Pain seems to radiate from bicep down and feels very tender if i massage the inside of the biceps where a nerve rests. Went to an orthopedic and received a cortisone shot, pain deff decreased quiet a bit but came back after about 3 weeks. Doc then ordered a arthrogram, came back clean, three months after first diagnosis still nothing for answers and still constant pain. I started OT again new office. its now been 2 weeks since i had 12 visits with her and im still in real pain. PLEASE HELP. I don't care if i need surgery i just want to know what's wrong. Very active lifestyle prior i was working out 5 days a week, surfing, volleyball etc with no pain. now i have no interest in any of them the pain just puts a frown on everything.Standing alone causes ache to radiate.http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f189/Imperial88/IMG_1769.jpg
-2 Comments Post a Comment
wrong image.  elbow picture http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f189/Imperial88/elbow.jpg
sorry poor text, i had to slim things down after being over 1600 words.  Thanks again Justin
i dont think u need surgery. sounds more like tendonitis. u can get another cortizone injection. sometimes u need more than 1. r u taking anythin like an anti inflamatory medicine? arthrotech? celebrex?
taking CHRISTOPHER'S COMPLETE TISSUE AND BONE FORMULA, and a generic glucosomine.  I hope so with the no surgery end of it, but how long must i wait?,  its so consistant.  I actually copied that post from a message i wrote on new years eve on another forum, but since then ive been doing a little more as far as activites.  The sharp pains here and there are bareable its the constant ache that drives me crazy.  When doing nothing i feel an ache. Upon waking up in the morning my elbow is very tight and takes some moving to get back to full motion.  Another thing, it feels very awkward sometimes and if i move it alot it will pop and feel a little better.  Now DR's say poping is normal, but it never used to do it before and now were talking alot.  THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE.  I just have a hardtime taking the "we can't find anything wrong, must be tendonitis"  approach from doctors.  It just sucks to deal with at 19, with so many other things going on in life. <--i probably sound like a baby, and i know i am very fortunate with everything else i have. I just want some answers.
went back to the doctor yesterday, 2/7. Sending me to have a ulnar neuropathy. Looks like i could have some damage to the nerve due to scar tissue/tearing of the tendons. Looks like we might be getting somewhere. Thanks you very much for the response.

test came back negative...Wow i have never been so frustrated. Still constant pain/ache even with no movement, it doesn't matter if i keep it in a sling all day, i still get pain out of no movement. PLEASE help Thanks

massage therapy...acupuncture, acupressure, etc...active release therapy...if its been that long i would try anything...i have the same thing, doc said flexor tendonitis but i've noticed its more similar to medial epicondylitis.  i've got a self-treatment book about trigger point therapy and that, as well as most of the other techniques all seek to accomplish the same thing...to break up the scar tissue and allow normal healing processes to take place.  look into it.  its helping me, i've been dealing with it for 6 months and its from playing guitar...not the greatest news to a promising band
Hi, I read your post and wanted to let you know you guys are not alone.  Although you are much younger than me, I have problems with both elbows and have tried everything.  I also have pain in my wrists and thumbs and fingers.  I have had x-rays and tests, and they keep saying *tendonitis* *tennis elbow* and in my thumbs I have arthritis.

On top of this I have carpal tunnel in both hands.  I had surgery on the right one in Oct. 07 and although the numbness is gone, I now get this horrible shooting pains up my forearm.  These pains are really freaking me out.  I used to do strength training, now I can't do anything except leg workouts (and my knees are not the best either, arthritis there too).

Some days I feel like I would like to cut both arms off to stop this misery.  I have been to orthopedic doctors, neurologists, and PT twice and nothing helps.  I can accept arthritis, but this tendonitis business is so aggravating.  
Zeus, everything that you have described, I have and I am experiencing that right now. First, it was my right elbow. Now, it is the left. I am so sick and tired of it. Doctors here still do not understand what is wrong other then it being tennis elbow. I have had everything done from Massage, C - Shots 3  of them to be exact.  Very painful shots that work for a few weeks then back to square one. The K- taping, MRI, Xrays you name it. Even the pain killers and anti -inflamatory pills do not work. I Sometimes wish I could just break my arm at the elbow. Just to get some relief from the nagging and constant pain. Have you had anything done that works. I too need help.

Olga