Orthopedics Community
Medial knee pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Medial knee pain

I have had a sharp pain on the inside of my knee about 3 inches from my kne cap. It hurts to extend and bend knee. It hurts to run but I can walk, bike and stair climb with little pain. I can pinpoint the spot where it hurts. I am a runner.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, you could have jumpers knee. But the pain could also be due to other causes like Tendinitis, in which inflammation of the tendons can produce similar pain. Arthritis or bursitis can produce pain in the joints. Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Bursa are sac like structures above and below the joints which helps in the movement of the tendons around the joints. These can get inflamed causing bursitis. Treatment can be initiated only after a confirmed diagnosis. I would advise you to consult your primary care physician for evaluation of pain. In the meantime avoid exercise as this could aggravate the pain and take OTC Naproxen for pain relief. Regards.
Hi!
Pain on the medial side of the knee is usually related to medial meniscal tears, injuries to the medial collateral ligament, tendonitis, and even to arthritis. Depending on the severity of these conditions, you may have pain only while running or when you are walking as well.  Please consult an orthopedic specialist and avoid running until this is diagnosed and treated. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Your right!  It is a meniscal tear. I don't have the full report from the MRI but the ortho told me it was a loose piece of the meniscus and it was moving around. I am assuming it is getting caught in the joint. Oddly enough, past couple of weeks it hasn't hurt. Do you think this needs surgery?  If so, can I wait a while?  Thanks