Meniscus Tear & Crackling
Thanks for your reply. Can you tell me physiologicaly what's happening to cause the crackling in Meniscus tear?
If your meniscus is torn, you will hear the crackling sound until you have it repaired.  It is cartilage and will continue to wear down, that is what you are hearing.  It is probably getting caught in different parts of your knee, twisting around with every movement, and this will cause the sound.  If it really is tore, you should have it repaired if it is bothering you.  If not it will just continue to wear down until there is nothing left.
I had surgery for a meniscus tear 6 years ago.Now the same pain and symptoms are back again.What are the chances of it being another tear?
Hi, There may be a popping or crack sound upon injury. Most people are able to walk immediately after a meniscus tear but begin limping as swelling sets in. Symptoms include pain along the inner or outer side of the knee, stiffness, swelling, and sometimes “locking” of the knee. A piece of torn cartilage may get caught between moving parts of the knee joint and causes the sound. A clicking sound may be heard when moving the knee. The pain may be worse when squatting. I hope this helps.