Orthopedics Community
Metatarsal Stress Fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Metatarsal Stress Fracture

Greetings,

I have relatively flat feet with normal pronation. I have been 80lbs overweight since the early 1990's. I play tennis, golf, and raquetball on an infrequent basis. I have to walk great distances dragging luggage in airports each week.

Back in 1992 I underwent heel spur/tarsal tunnel repair surgery in my left foot (complete ligament release). I knew that walking barefoot was a problem in the same foot as I could feel stress in the base area of the 5th metatarsal. My podiatrist had little to offer other than don't walk barefoot. So until last year I managed the stress successfully with the orthotics. I beagn to notice the onset of infrequent stabbing pain in the same area. The pain would subside after a period of no-load. After coping with this situation for some time I went to my new podiatrist and an MRI revealed classic edema in the bone marrow of the base end of the 5th metatarsal. I have been in an economy cam walker for 6 weeks now with no healing occuring.I have been in very low activity since my good foot is stressed using the walker. My doctor says that I am in a clinical state just waiting for healing to occur. I feel that this will never heal. Is there anything I can do to stimulate bone healing? What can I expect? He says that I should have had a rod support in the orthotic to shift the altered bio mechanics back to center.
try using some tumbled quartz w/ Tiger's Eye, helps to align and mend bones. Just hold them near your problem area/leave @ the foot of your bed at night. hope you enjoy a speedy recovery!