Orthopedics Community
Mid meta tarsal amputation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Mid meta tarsal amputation

I had a mid meta-tarsal amputation of my left foot in early June 2009 due to toe infection.  I am a Type 1 diabetic, 41 y.o.  I have been home since July 24th, 2009.  The stump is healing really well; and my blood sugars have been excellent.  My question is can I fly on a 1 hr flight? Keeping in mind that I will be wearing a stump sock.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter.
  • amputation (1 replies):
    I had a mid meta-tarsal amputation of my left foot in ea...[more]
  • Hip trauma (1 replies):
    I had a skiing accident, 7 days ago, where I collided wi...[more]
Avatar dr m tn
Hello!

The most common complication is infection which might complicate wound healing.
If your blood sugars have been under check since last couple of months and the stump has healed to an extent that there is no more external soft tissue exposure or inflammation you may fly.
Check with your surgeon for go ahead and fly only if it is urgent as in couple of months with complete healing you would be in a position to travel.

More than the 1 hr you have to remember that you would go through the whole procedure of boarding and travelling for that. Take all precautions and assistance if you go ahead.

Take care!