Orthopedics Community
Middle toes growing apart; severe cramps

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

For the past few months I've noticed my middle #3 toe (#1 being the big toe), on my left foot seems to be growing apart from # 2 toe.
It coincides with excrutiating cramps when same #3 toe looks like it's trying to point towards the pinky/#5 toe & the knuckle of same #3 toe feels like it's trying to drop lower than the surrounding #2 & #4 toes.
There's now a space between #2 & #3 toes, almost as if I'd been wearing the tong of flip-flops there for many years ! Something is happening & I can't figure it out !
Very strange, but VERY painful when it cramps ! My foot feels most relaxed when toes are slightly bent from foot, almost like wearing invisible 1 & 1/2 "heel.
  What on Earth could possibly be happening ?
I'd also be intersted in finding out what this is, as it is happening to me also!  However, I feel teh most cramping and pain between toe #2 and toe #3 (it's toe #3 that is "growing" apart from toe #2).  If I curl my toes under, it will immediately result in this cramping/pain.

Yesterday, when I was trying to take a nap, I experienced a most excruciating cramp in that toe/area and I could literally SEE toe #3 angling toward toe #4.  It took a LONG time for the pain and cramping to pass and it only did so after holding toes# 3 and 4 upward for several minutes.  If I would let go, the cramping and pain would immediately return.  I would say it lasted approximately 15 minutes before I was able to let go of my toes and not have the pain return.  Toe #2 and toe #3 are very tender to the touch on the middle knuckle area as well as where they meet the top of the foot.  There also appears to be some slight bruising/discoloration where the toes meet the top of the foot, but yet I have not stubbed my toes or anything.

Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!