Middle toes growing apart; severe cramps
For the past few months I've noticed my middle #3 toe (#1 being the big toe), on my left foot seems to be growing apart from # 2 toe.
It coincides with excrutiating cramps when same #3 toe looks like it's trying to point towards the pinky/#5 toe & the knuckle of same #3 toe feels like it's trying to drop lower than the surrounding #2 & #4 toes.
There's now a space between #2 & #3 toes, almost as if I'd been wearing the tong of flip-flops there for many years ! Something is happening & I can't figure it out !
Very strange, but VERY painful when it cramps ! My foot feels most relaxed when toes are slightly bent from foot, almost like wearing invisible 1 & 1/2 "heel.
  What on Earth could possibly be happening ?
I'd also be intersted in finding out what this is, as it is happening to me also!  However, I feel teh most cramping and pain between toe #2 and toe #3 (it's toe #3 that is "growing" apart from toe #2).  If I curl my toes under, it will immediately result in this cramping/pain.

Yesterday, when I was trying to take a nap, I experienced a most excruciating cramp in that toe/area and I could literally SEE toe #3 angling toward toe #4.  It took a LONG time for the pain and cramping to pass and it only did so after holding toes# 3 and 4 upward for several minutes.  If I would let go, the cramping and pain would immediately return.  I would say it lasted approximately 15 minutes before I was able to let go of my toes and not have the pain return.  Toe #2 and toe #3 are very tender to the touch on the middle knuckle area as well as where they meet the top of the foot.  There also appears to be some slight bruising/discoloration where the toes meet the top of the foot, but yet I have not stubbed my toes or anything.

Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated!