Orthopedics Community
More questions than answers about right shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I have had firey shoulder pain off and on since March in my right shoulder.  I was told it was multi-directional instability by the orthopedic specialist I see.  I was told corrective surgery was the way to go and now nobody will give me any answers except therapy and no explanation of why.  I live in the Atlanta area and have been to two orthopedic groups as well as Emory and everyone just blows me off like I am crazy.  I don't know where to turn for help.  Most orthopedic specialists will not even consider seeing me without a case review.  That only determines if they will agree to see you and not much else.  Then it is 3-4 more months getting an appointment for an opinion-not much else.  I don't know where to turn for help.  All I do know is the pain continues to get worse and nothing works to stop it so I just live with it.  I do like to swim and have had to quit for over six weeks because I am in so so so much pain.  I need to know what to do and where else to turn for help.  The other bad thing is I am right side dominant.
Tags: unstable shoulder, shoulder surgery, shoulder pain, shoulder question
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Shoulder pain could be causes due to inflammations, degenerations, capsulitis, bursitis, tendonitis, injuries/ tears, arthritis, spinal/ neuro-muscular causes, muscle/ ligament/ tendon tears/ injuries, fractures, growths/ masses, ischemia, micronutrient deficiencies, referred pain from other regions etc. I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician and depending on the cause diagnosed/ suspected, it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!