Morel Lesion
I have developed a morel lesion following a bad bike crash 6 mo ago. Has anyone ever had the
surgery of debriding this type of lesion? I cannot find much on the net it seems to be somewhat rare.
I cant find anything on recovery time, complications, etc.
Thank you
Mitch
A Morel-Lavallée lesion is a closed degloving injury associated with severe trauma to the pelvis. It presents as a hemolymphatic mass located over the external aspect of the thigh. Since Morel-Lavallée first described the lesion in the 19th century, the term has been used to describe similar lesions in other anatomic sites such as the lumbar area and over the scapula. The mechanism of the injury is a sudden violent shear stress to the anterolateral thigh.
The options for management may range from conservative approach to surgical approach.
Injury to the subcutaneous fatty tissue can result in the formation of a pseudocyst due to lymphatic extravasations.
I need help... I keep getting dead end answers from doctors.
I have a LARGE Morel-Lavallee Lesion on my inner knee for 2 months since a accident, where my leg was ran over.

If anyone still reads/answers to this blog let me know... thanks.
I know it has been a couple years from your post but I am having issues with the morel I have on my thigh after a serious pelvic accident last year. I used compression for about 5 months after the accident to reduce the size and when it was not noticeable I stopped. It has now been 13 month from my accident and I woke up with a lot of pain and swelling in my morel. I had a pretty bad cold last week and I am not sure if they are related. Does anyone know what can be causing the sudden inflammation and severe pain?
Just wondering what the outcome was for you kheart?
I have also been run over by car, and have Morel Lavallee of my thigh. Drs here in Australia have been nothing short of useless an have only advised compression bandage. It has reduced over last 9 weeks but still painful, hollow and heavy. Lower leg has multiple fractures but escaped any of upper femur. Just have not found any information about conservative treatments online. Does exercise improve it?
Rachel
greetings Rachel! i was involved in motorcycle crash 6months ago...after months of being told i had a hemotoma on my right upper hip/thigh and draining not an option, due to possible infection...I went to a new GP by order of my surgeon, and two weeks ago she ordered me to have it drained. Today was two weeks since, it is now been diagnosed(after much pain, fluid refilling and a much larger area of fluid retention) that I  have a Morel Lavallee and i must have surgery. I am so confused as to the right/wrong about all of this and needless to say unhappy and overwhelmed about the prognosis. Hope things worked there way through for you, hoping you see this and we can communicate..SO very difficult to find much online about this! Best Wishes, Tuesday
Hi, I have been diagnosed as having one of the lesions. Mine is huge and on the inner thigh. It is nine weeks since it happened and was told it was a hematoma and it would go away. I am trying to get in to see a surgeon to get it fixed. The last three days have been getting sharp stinging pain behind my knee. Very scared and worried. Have you had any success? I am in Australia also.
Hi, wondering how you have gotten on with your lesion. I have one and am very worried about it.
Hello. Almost a year ago, I too, was diagnosed with a Morel Lavelle leision on my left gluteus Minimus following a motorcycle accident. My diagonosis was discovered early on, which I understand to be key in treatment. However the treatment offered was minimal, suggesting that compression bandages you reduce the fluid retention and eventually go away on its own. I have since been following my care with my PCP who has no knowledge of this condition and has no suggestions for possible treatment. I was recently referred to a general surgeon after a US of the area, only to be informed that he could not treat the leison. The literature avaiable online is alarming. I am extremly worried about possible life long complications and the idea of surgery. Has anyone in this forum had and sucessful conserative treatment or an I and D to treat this leision?