Orthopedics Community
Mother needs knee replacement, but has epilepsy.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I would like to know if it possible to get a doctor to agree to do knee replacement (needs both replaced) surgery on my mother. She is 60 years old and was diagnosed with brain cancer (oligodendroglioma) almost 10 years ago. The cancer has been in remission for at least 7 years. A few years ago she started having small seizures without much movement that only last for a couple of seconds. The seizure frequency has gotten worse over the years, and now she is on the highest doses of anti-seizure meds but still has occasional breakthrough seizures. She has fallen a few times in the past couple of years, but her knee instability may more to blame than the seizures. Do you think a doctor would agree to do knee replacement surgery?
Hi there!

It would be difficult to say. She would need to be evaluated by a surgeon, an internist and an anesthetist to determine if she would be fit to undergo the surgery. I would suggest consulting an orthopedician initially to discuss the situation in detail.
Hope this helps.

Take care!