Orthopedics Community
Multi-level Lumbar Disc Issues
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Multi-level Lumbar Disc Issues

Hello. I am being recommended for L5/S1 spinal fusion.  I have already had L4/L5 fused.  Based on the results of a recent MRI (see notes below), please let me know your thoughts on if this would be a logical mode of treatment.  Thank you

L5-S1: Moderate bilateral facet arthrosis is present, with 3 mm of mild grade 1 degenerative anterolithesis of L5 and S1.  There is disc uncovering and a small central/left paracentral disc protusion (with annular fissure/tear) which minimally effaces the ventral thecal sac without central spinal canal stenosis or foraminal stenosis.  

L4-L5: Residual small endplate osteophytes mildly efface the ventral thecal sac and results in mild bilateral foraminal narrowing.  No significant central spinal canal stenosis.

L3-L4: A broad-based disc protusion measuring 4 mm in AP diameter and mild bilateral facet arthrosis are present, resulting in mild effacement of the ventral thecal sac (10 mm AP diameter of the thecal sac) without significant foraminal narrowing.  

L2-L3 Minimal annular bulges with no spinal canal or foraminal stenosis.