Orthopedics Community
Multiple Myeloma and a partially torn ankle tendon

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

I was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma in 2003.  It first showed up in my annual physical in 1996 in a spike in my protein count.  In 2003 I was immediately put on a regimen of 10 mg of Thalidomide once a day.  After about four years 40 mgs of decodron was prescribed once a week along with the Thalidomide.  In 2007 I was switched to 10 mg of Revlimid once a day along with the 40 mgs of decodron once a week.  Two months ago I had a 2nd Petscan.  It showed that there are no clusters of myeloma cells anywhere in my bones.  However, I still do have myeloma cells in my bone marrow.  I have no bone pain or any other outward symptoms of myeloma.  I have blood draws once a month and see my oncologist once a month to discuss the results of he blood draws.  My blood draw results, and also the free light chain test, show that I am in the normal range for IGG protein.  The kappa and lambda range in the free light chain are a little out of range, but have remained about the same since the first test was done.

About 8 months ago I partially tore a tendon in my my left ankle.  I had an MRI right after I tore the tendon.  I wasn't playing any sports when I tore it.  In fact, I'm not even sure when I tore it.  All of a sudden there was a lot of pain and swelling in the ankle.  Because myeloma reduces the number of infection fighting white blood cells it was recommended not to have tendon replacement, because of the severely compromised immune system.  Also, the Revlimid and the decodron side effects say that they may cause a reduction in white blood cells.

I wear a custom brace all of the time, except when sleeping, that allows the ankle to move when walking and help support it.  The brace starts just below the knee and has a support that my foot fits in.  There is a hinge at the ankle.  I have no pain.  

My first question is how does myeloma effect a torn tendon?

Second question is - I have a follow-up appt. with the orthopedist.  Is it out of the ordinary to ask for a followup MRI to see how the tendon is progressing?
Hi there!

Myeloma does not directly affect the torn tendon; it would prevent the normal healing that would have taken place after the surgery, making the prognosis grim. This effect would further be compounded with the use of medications used for MM.
               No, you could certainly ask for an MRI to see how has the progress been so far, though it may not be required at times and a physical examination may suffice.
Hope this helps.

Take care!