Orthopedics Community
Multiple injuries - chronic swelling/bruising below knee

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hi. Thanks in advance for reading. I'm a 26 y/o, 6'1", 175lb athletic male. Ten years ago, I broke my right tibia playing soccer. The leg was in hard casts for a total of five months. I quickly resumed an active lifestyle, competing in soccer and swimming without notable side effects. I also trained in classical dance, and three years later I severely sprained my right ankle and broke the fifth metatarsal in my right foot during a lesson. According to the orthopod who treated the injury, I damaged 90% of the tendons and ligaments in the lateral complex (during the stress x-ray he was able to point the sole of my right foot around to face me). This injury really set me back. In hindsight, I realize that I probably should have undergone physical therapy to recover, but I didn't. In spite of this, I have since regained near full stability and mobility in my right ankle. My problem is with swelling and circulation. During recovery, the large vessels below my right knee doubled in size compared to those in my left. Blotchy bruising starts mid-shin and becomes more uniform around my ankle. Varicose veins run from my ankle along my foot. My right calf and ankle are noticeably larger than my left, though how much of this can be attributed to muscle growth or edema I'm not sure. Chronic swelling intensifies with prolonged standing and the muscles and joints on the right leg are more prone to soreness than the left.

THE QUESTION: Is there something I should be doing to ensure healthy circulation and/or reduce swelling in my right leg with the goal of minimizing long term effects from these injuries (such as rheumatoid arthritis)?