Muscle Spasms ???
For the last 2 yrs. I have suffered with neck pain. Sometimes I have tingling in arms, pain in shoulders. I have to be very careful of my activities and movements, because even something as simple as blow drying my hair can cause pain that will last days, any jolt of my body or raising my arms above my head will cause pain. I have had 2 x-rays done, but they only show changes consistant with muscle spasms. My doctor has recommended physical therapy, which I will do, but what I'm wondering is..Is the diagnosis of "muscle spasms" a general wording of my problem, until my doctor sees if there is results with the therapy, before we move on to other tests, such as, an MRI. Or are my neck muscles just very sensitive to movement? I feel like it may be a disk problem that isn't being spotted on the x-ray.
Since your "plain" xrays only show muscle spasm, then an MRI or a CT (spiral) are often ordered to rule out anything not normally visualized on xrays, such as hairline fractures, tumor,etc.  If you are not comfortable with the idea of those tests, you can go see a neurologist and get a nerve conduction study done to see if your problems might be from a pinched nerve or other nerve problem.  This test is non-invasive and usually done in the office.  If this test shows no problem, then you should get the MRI/CT done.  Hope this helps
I have a major problem with my roommate.  It has been going on for years, but now I am desperate!  He is a 37 year old man, and completely wheelchair bound now due to his condition.
It started out as neck and back pain.  Then, it got continually worse and now, he can't lift his head up, he is always facing the ground because it is stuck.  Also, his joints in his hips and knees are getting worse so, it is almost impossible for him to walk.  
     He is overweight, and smokes cigarettes, which doesn't help at all.  However, he can't seem to lose weight because he is in so much pain.  He is about 300lbs now.  The doctors have no idea what he has.  He cannot take an MRI or Cat Scan because of the way his neck and body is.  He cannot go to the dentist because they won't treat him because they can't put him in chair or get into mouth by him leaning back because of his neck.  He now suffers from major toothaches.  
     He is on alot of pain medication due to his illness.  I need to know, if there is any center or facility that would be able to help him!!! He needs help losing weight, physical therapy, and eventually, hopefully an MRI or Cat Scan.  He will travel anywhere! Please help us...I don't know what else to do.
He does have insurance, Blue Cross, Blue Shield.

Thanks!!
-Rachel