Orthopedics Community
My Thumb is Numb!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

My Thumb is Numb!!

Hi;
I woke up the other day and my thumb on my right hand is numb. The thumb works just fine except for the very end of it. It's like it's not there at all. I can't do anything with it.
I didn't even know it was like that until I went to tie my dog out and push the little lever down on the snap. It was the weirdest feeling looking at my thumb and trying for all I was worth to make it move like that and it just wouldn't move.
It's been a few days and it's still like that. I don't understand why.
I had carpal tunnel a few years back but haven't had any problems with it for quite a few years now. This just happened right out of the blue.
I don't realize how many times you go to use your thumb until you don't have it to use!! Just weird!!

If it was on my left hand I might think that it's got something to do with a heart attack or stroke or something. I'm hoping that it doesn't mean that on the right side.

I REALLY look forward to hearing what you have to say. Thanks so much for taking the time to email me back. I really do appreciate it!!

T.
Although it is uncommon, the symptoms of carpel tunnel syndrome can recur. Some factors can be strenuous work right after surgery, use of physical therapy alone to treat CTS and sometimes an improper carpel tunnel release surgery.
What treatment you had earlier for carpel tunnel syndrome?
Reasons for failure of surgery include: incomplete release of the ligament, extensive scarring, recurrence of CTS due to underlying medical disorders.
You should consult your doctor. He may advise you on this and whether the release procedure may be repeated.
Do write in after your doctor’s consultation.
Take care