Orthopedics Community
My collar bone is dislocated. Help please

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Hi, im 18, and I fell hard on my bike and after a day or so, I see my collar bone popping out. I did some research and found out that it is a SC joint dislocation (anterior). After finding out that my collar bone is dislocated, I went to see a general doctor after 3 days since I was busy with school. He told me that he doesn't know what is the problem and recommended me to see a specialist which is a othopedic doctor and told me to get an x ray on it before going there. So I did and got the x ray result. I got home and called the orthopedic doctor to make an appointment with them, so they gave me one. BUT, they gave me an appointment which will take 3 months. I was wondering if that will be bad for me because my right collarbone is like popping forward and you can see it so im kind of scared. What should I do while waiting for the appointment that will be in 3 months? What will happen to my collar bone that is popping out forward in the next 3 months?
Hi there!

Anterior dislocation of the collar bone is usually benign and would require a reduction in acute cases in the ER. In chronic cases reduction may or may not be possible and may not be required. If possible I would suggest having this reviewed at the ER over considering an evaluation by an orthopedician at a later date. Meanwhile it is suggested to keep the collar bone in place and avoid stress/ strain to the region.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!