Orthopedics Community
Myxoid degeneration of medial meniscus
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Myxoid degeneration of medial meniscus

Hi, I just received the MRI results for my right knee. It shows to have: "Myxoid degeneration of medial meniscus posterior horn with knee joint effusion and suspected partial tear of the anterior cruciate ligament for which clinical correlation is adviced". I get only right knee MRI due to its cost, but I'm suffering of similar pain on both knees. What does this mean? Is there any treatment I can do at home to relief the pain? Thanks!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hello!

You have 3 pairs of cartilages in your knee joint and for your understanding these are viz. menisci, cruciates (anterior and posterior) and collaterals (medial and lateral).

Myxoid degeneration is the degeneration of the mensicus cartilage when you have a tear in the periphery. This occurs due to wear and tear and most commonly occurs in older individuals.

These tears divide the meniscus into superior and inferior flaps, either of which may be unstable. I would suggest you to follow up with the report with an orthopedician.

You have to be put under observation. If required your orthopedician may consider meniscectomy or meniscal repair in the future.

Take care!
Blank
1242017_tn?1268324302
Just wondering if this is somethng that they routinely do surgery? Or might it be a wait and see situation?? Thanks so much!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Orthopedics Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...