Orthopedics Community
Neck and Lower Back Issues

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Neck and Lower Back Issues

I'd appreciate your views on my recent MRI and X-ray as noted below. I'd appreciate it very much if your advice can be explained in layman terms, with ranking of its severity from 1-10 (10 being the most severe) and the current remedial actions which are available for my consideration:
1.Cervical Spine
MRI=Severe cervical spondylosis with PID at C3/4, C5/6 and C6/7 levels, most marked at C5/6 with impingement on the cord and left nerve root. The cord is displaced and compressed upon and left foraminal stenosis is present.
X-Ray=Normal vertebral alignment with straightening of the cervical lordosis. Marked degenerative spondylotic changes are present between C4 and C7 vertebral levels with reduced disc height. Large anterior osteophytes are present at C4/5 and large posterior osteophytes at C5/6 and C6/7 disc levels.

2. Lumbosacral Spine
MRI=L4/5 and L5/S1 spondylosis with diffuse disc bulges causing bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. No spinal canal stenosis. There is slight progression of disease process compared to previous MRI in 2008.
X-Ray=Normal vertebral alignment. Vertebral body heights are preserved with presence of Schmorl's nodes at the superior endplates. There is mild narrowing of the L5/S1 disc space. No bony fracture or dislocation. Both sacroiliac joints are normal.

Looking forward to your views soonest.
K I have watched your post for four day and am going to give it my best shot so bear with me lol. MRI- C5/6 is a 10 you need to get the nerve decompressed. The space between your vertebrae and your nerves is getting smaller from c3 to c7 unsure what to rate this. X ray- You have degenerative osteoarthritis between your C4 and C7 levels and bone spurs from C4-C7 and rating this I am also unsure of. If it is pressing on a nerve it is very severe due to nerve damage it can cause. They can be dissolved however.

MRI-L4/5 L5/S1 you also have degenerative osteoarthritis causing narrowing between the vertebra. X Ray-The spacing between your vertebrae is normal but there is evidence that your disc are leaking and pushing into the bony part of the closest vertebra.  in your L5/S1 disc space is narrowing. As I am not a dr but have dealt with back problems for years the most serious thing you need to keep an eye on is the C5/6 area since it can lead to permanent nerve damage. Everything else is slower acting and may never cause problems. I really did not know how to rank the severity but maybe someone will come across your post and help with that, they may even be able to read your mri and xrays better than I. Best wishes, Sissie