Orthopedics Community
Neck and Shoulder pain after C5-6 fusion.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Viewing 201-232 comments:
Your pain is coming from the position your neck is now after the surgery. The muscles ar straining to compensate for the strange postion they are not use to ( nor ever will) I have been going through this since 2007. I have tried EVERYTHING under the sun to help my pain. but I am going to Dr Kenneth Light in San Francisco to get the fusion reversed and an artificial disc put in. Fusions cost over 70 thousand dollars and disc replacement half. So which do you think the doctors want to do? Which makes them more money??? If at all possible DO NOT HAVE A FUSION DONE!!!. Old and out of date for everyone except certain cases that are too far gone as far as bone disease need to have them.
I am going to Dr Kenneth Light in San Francisco to get the fusion reversed and an artificial disc put in. Fusions cost over 70 thousand dollars and disc replacement half. So which do you think the doctors want to do? Which makes them more money??? If at all possible DO NOT HAVE A FUSION DONE!!!. Old and out of date for everyone except certain cases that are too far gone as far as bone disease need to have them.
Do not do another fusion, do a disc replacement ( artificail) better all the way around for you!
no fusions, just artificial disc replacement!!! Fusions are nightmares
tucsondee, I  feel your pain. I fell off of an aircraft about 10' and landed on the back of my head was rushed to the hospital and was induced into a coma for 5 days. Upon waking up i was rushed to, surgury and fused from 3thru 7. I went to rehab to learn to walk again for approx 1 yr and exper vertigo bad, lots of pain and unstable. workman's comp said that i should be as good as new and sent me to  their doc which ( i was advised that this would happen) i saw never examined me but Declared that i was faking. so W/C stopped me from seeing any doc's and said that i should return to work . So i got in touch with THEIR DOC and said to him that if he truly believed that i was faking then he should have no problem with allowing me to go back to work ,HE SAID NO!!. I informed my att. that W/c was about to make me have a nervious B/D and that i wanted to settle so i could try to get some help and some relief. I am retired now and the pain in myneck and the Headaches continue daily nonstop. I have tried everything from tens unit to steriod injections and i have dibietes and the injection affect my B/S I also take hydro 3 times a day because the pain affects my B/S as well. Im say all, of this to tell you that i'm 58 yrs old and was a workaholic all of my life and now i'm reduced to depression and constant pain so, i Hear you and can relate to you circumstance. I don't know where to turn nor do i want to continue with the constant pain.  My Pain Doc tells me that he will find an answer.  I can only hope. I wish you well and i'll Pray for you as well  GOD BLESS
Should have a artificial disc instead of fusion. See if you can have it replaced. Doctors don't suggest because some insurance companies don't cover so they go with ones that will pay them ( fusions)
on 8/8/2008 i had a a plate and screws in the front to relace 2 hurniated discs,was ok for the first year after that started to feel like my head was too heavy for my neck! went back to ns and he said after mri,ct,and mylogram everything was great the pain got so bad that i couldnt even stand up straight. so i checked out a dr at the hospital near my sister and after viewing results from dr that did the surgery found that the plate and screws never fused! He said i would need to have another surgery to stabilize my neck and on 3/14/2011 2 rodes and screw put in the back to stabilize. and i am in pain every day! the migraines i have always suffered from have gotten 10 x worse. The drs keep telling me that there is nothing in my tests to show that i would be in any pain at all, and i am already having trouble standing up straight again, he said i should try going back to work to forget about the pain that shouldnt be there! so now im crazy and the pain is all in my head???????
I also had a  fusion at C-6 with a donor bone..screws and titanium plate Sept of 2011. I felt good for the first 4 weeks until I stopped taking the pain pills. Wow after that the pain in my neck came back plus pain down my arm sometimes also burning. I also have shoulder pain and weakness in only my right arm.  It's been almost a year since my surgery and I'm still seeing lots of doctors. I had injection that didn't work at all and taking lots of pain pills. I had a nerve study and it does show positive for nerve damage but no one can figure out where the damage point is. After a year still having neck,shoulder and arm pain. But my question is, I've been having lots of problems with my vision only in my right eye also strange feeling, numbness, tinling on my right toes. Has anyone had this problem.    Good luck to all.
Sorry to say but after 5 years( now 2012) things are still the same....the only relief is Pain meds witch now is like giving your right arm for them...We are all treated like a bunch of low lives, junkies, drug addicts, all because of this surgery that obviously does NOT work and makes live even harder to live...WTF is a person to do !!!???!!!
may I ask the name of the book you brought
Hey everyone, I had a fusion C4 to 7 in 2000 - worst decision of my life. Same as everyone on this blog. Backache, pain in shoulders, neck spasms, migraines, jaw pain, insomnia. I have tried everything and nothing solves the problem. I go for physio once a week, neck and back massage when necessary, anti-inflam tabs daily and pain killers. When the pain is chronic I go for steriod jabs and pethidine when migraines are out of control. That's all we can do, manage the pain as best you can. Only have a fusion when the other option is a wheelchair! Good luck everyone, my heart goes out to you all.
I have had the same surgery in C5-6-7 fusion thru the front of the neck.  Was in so much pain afterwards that I went thru 3 months of physical theropy. Did not work.  I be I have had over 100 shots in neck, back both arms numb and shooting pains along with the neck/back/shoulder.  Started see a Dr Yearwood in Pascagoula Ms. and they implanted a stimulator in the upper spine area.  Sorta likne a tense  unit but internally.  It made things worse.  I just got home form seeing a Dr at John Hopskins in Baltimore, and now he wants to put in rods to stabalize the neck.  He doesnt think the fusion took and there is too much movement and that is causing all the problems.  only a 50/50 chance it will work, but if the 50% chance works-he said I would be pain free.  Another surgery? What to do?
Don't want to live like this anymore.  Anyone heard of this>
Wow. I stumbled upon this site by accident, looking for information of something I caught on TV about defective neck fusions / grafts.  I too have had multiple surgeries, multiple levels, and still experience the same pains and limitation I hear in all of these comments.  It is very sad and discouraging.  Anyone considering a neck fusion, I would try to persuade you to manage it in other methods.  

Regarding the last comment, I too had my last surgery trying to "fix" one that never fused from two prior surgeries.  With this last surgery, they went in from both the front and back of the neck, fused and inserted a substance that is like concrete.  No doubt, it fused.  But I have had severe shoulder pain, shoulder blade area pain, incision pain, clicking, and headaches.

I do not know the answer.  My three surgeries were in two different states, two different doctors, spanning 8 years.  I really did like my last surgeon in NYC, and do feel he advised me down the best path he knew.  But I really do not know if the damage was already done from the prior two.  I still have herniated disks now in the middle of my back, but he does not want to operate on me.  Once you have multiples, you are not a good candidate for further levels.  They simply weaken and weaken.  

Has anyone heard of discoveries of the products being deffective or this material that is like a concrete causing issues with tissue and throat?

Best wishes and prayers to everyone.  I trully feel your pain.
Like many of you, I had acdf surgery on C4-5, C5-6 last year due to cervical stenosis, ruptured discs and compression of spinal cord.  Before the surgery I had suffered with the the following:  Numbness, tingling, neck, shoulder and upper back pain, loss of bladder control.  I had migraines that seemed to develop more from muscles spasms, etc. after the mildest of activities.  About a year and half before my surgery,  I developed a "hump" on the back of back of my neck that causes me severe pain and numbness/tingling.  Lifting, reaching, bending, pushing, pulling, knealing, excessived standing, walking, sitting, etc... along with mild activity also causes this hump on my neck to get larger.  Imagine a large grapefruit cut in half and placed on the back of your neck....thats my hump size. The doctors (neuros) say that it's just a mass, nothing cancerous and it shouldn't cause pain.  The docs don't know why the mass (hump) gets larger but with rest and a reclining position...it will  eventually go back down to a smaller size.  Honestly, they don't seem to care.  So I had my surgery and right away I noticed that it helped with my bladder control issues and also the numbness and tingling down my arms, hands and legs had decreased.  After a few months, it has gradually returned  and I continue to have the pain in my neck and shoulder blade area.  I started having pain and pressure, numbness and tingling going down the middle of my back as well as around the hump area.  My neuro surgeon said everything looked good on xrays and that I should give it a few months.  It still hasn't gotten better, its now worse than before the surgery.  2nd Opinion, Mayo, I had to go to a series of doctors...with each one commentiong on the CT scan that I had done there.  I was told that my surgery was a failure by the pain, rheumy and neuro doc.  I requested a copy of the report to see for myself what the findings from the radiolgist were.  Mayo wanted me to make an appt with a neuro-surgeon there...and he asked a lot of questions about what my previous doctor said about xrays after surgery and if I had seen him recently.  He then tells me that he isn't sure why but the radiologist was mistaken about CT scan...that my surgery was a successful fusion.  Still have stenosis but from his view...everything looks good from a surgical standpoint.  My question is .... how could a radiologist have misread a CT scan that badly?  I am still in a lot of pain in my neck and shoulder blade area.    My activites are now limited dramatically because I know if I do most anything...I will suffer from it.  The headaches are unbearable and I have pain in my hands more than ever.  My back is in terrible shape...xrays revealed that I have stenosis and nerve impingement in thoracic and lumbar spine also.  I am a christian and believe that there is a purpose for everything and in God's healing power.  I just wonder what lesson I am suppose to be learning from all of this and how long this will last before I get some relief.  Sick and tired of being sick and tired.  Earline
My mother had a C5 and C7 fusion, she is constantly in pain. Most of the pain  coming from her arms, shoulder, b/w shoulder blades, back of head, and neck. Please, I'm begging you, does anyone have any ideas on what to do, even just some advice, I'd really appreciate it.
i do im so misarable its taking a toll on me the pain is  un real  i hurt worse before i had the surgery i had 7 plates and screws a 5 bone s replaced  my hands go numb  feel like fire in them i cant sleep in the hot tub  all i do is cry  im so depressed i dont know at to do  the pain meds dont help  steroids  dont either   i need pain manange ment he want do it  trying to ween me off he cant
thanks sue
I am so glad I found this site.  I have been having pain in my neck and at a disc in my upper back.  I am not allowing anyone to touch me.  I will deal with it.  It's not as bad as what I am reading here!  My brother had back surgery as did my father and they are both in worse pain now than they were.  I just had a friend to had a second neck surgery.  The first involved a plate as well.  She had pain before, but, not to the extent she has now.  She says she just wants to die it hurts so bad.  I'll use natural approaches and will try zyflamend before I let anyone cut me open!  I will hold all of you suffering in pain in my prayers!
BEEN PHYSICALY DISABLED SINCE TRAMATIC BRAIN INJURY IN 1977 --  BIG DEAL SURVIVING.  WALKING BALANCED IMPROVED GREATLY --  BUT STILL NOT WALKING INDEPENDENTLY.

MUCH DIFFIERENT THAN YOUR PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS, JUST THOUGHT OF SUGGESTING HOW I HAD LEARNED FROM MY PT THERIPIST OF USING MOIST HEAT HEALS JOINT PAIN BEST.  I HAD USED A LIKE SANDBAG THING YOU HEAT IN BOILING WATER........YOU MUST ASK YOUR PHARMATIST TO ORDER CALLED A "HYDROCULATOR".  NEXT:  IT MOST BE WRAPPED INSIDE A BATH TOWEL BEFORE PLACING ONTO YOUR SKIN.

MY THERAPIST RECOMMENDED HOLDING ONTO YOUR SORE NECK OR IN MY CASE MY SORE ANKLE (OR ANY SORE JOINT MUSCLES) FOR 20 MINUTES.  AND TO IMMEDIATELY HOLD COLD PACK ONTO THE SAME AREA.  **** til pain is better or gone) ******** # of repeated DAYS & times, depends on the needs of serverity!!  HOPE ITS A THOUGHT ya never know till tried........as always!!!

YES.......FELT AS IF YOU PULLED THE SORENESS OUT RIGHT AWAY!!  -----  JUST TELLING THAT THOUGH, HOWEVER MANY OTHER TIMES I ALSO HAD DONE THIS FOR A STIFF NECK -----  WHICH ALSO ELIVIATED THE PAIN IN MY STIFF NECK -----  IT MAY HELP YOUR PAIN IF NEVER TRIED I WONDERED!!!  LIKE YOU HOPE SO.......NO DOUBTS!!
I had c3,4 ,5,6 done Dec of 2011  they used my hip bone for the neck  I can't move my neck  still have hip pain all the pain is back sorry I ever did it in the frist place. I can't do any thing so much pain .
I had to get glasses after my fusion...I had some weird eye issues for about a year and a half.  it has been two years for my fusion c5/c6
I had this same surgery a year ago, I am discovering this same thing. My shoulders and right arm are the worst areas of pain. I agree with you, toning and strengthening the muscles is the best option. I've had some good results with a process called "dry needling" as it serves to release muscle tension.
I am having a 3 level lumbar disc fusion and correction of a curved spine in about 3 weeks. My back pain is unbearable.
I had fusion of C5-6,with bone plate and bone,screws. It has been over 12 years,and I suffer constant agonizing pain,in my neck and down the rt. arm and shoulder. My discs were compressing my blood supply to my rt. arm or I would not have done it. I would NEVER do it again. they say now I need fusion on the discs above and below the first fusion!! I do not think so!! Never again. I am not interested in being wheel chair bound.
I am just done with surgery for 13 days back. It is c5-6. Yes I had for 10 years back a first surgery of c6-7. Before I got op my surgeon told me which is a normal thing. What is happened with me newly after 10 years is a great that took a decade. My fusion is done with carbon pack without any screw and metal. I am a violinist and for a years back I was suffering by same symptoms and getting worst playing and working on pc. So I hope it will better. Post surgery phase is also not pleasant but if you don't have any other option you have to accept the way of cure.
I had cervical spinal fusion in 2010 and researched and got the best Doctor!!! I did everything I was supposed to do and I have no problems, except the severe nerve pain that was already there before the surgery. I had to have it done caused my discs were already bad and then got in a car accident and it bruised my spinal cord so if I would have fallen, I could have been paralyzed so I am very happy with the outcome. I did not even need pain meds after my surgery C5 and C6 with a cadaver bone and a plate and 4 screws.....I wish the nerve damage would have went away, but at least I am not paralyzed....happy for that...:)
I had Surgery on C5/C6 in 2001 after a car accident. Metal plate and 4 screws and bone from my hip. The pain is now worse than the day it happened. Above and below are now wearing but the surgeon will not do more surgery until I am 60... 8 more years... I am on Morphine Patches and Panadine Fotre and Gabapentin and Voltaren... Still VERY painful... Rules my life.
I just had a John Hopkins Dr Dean do surgery I had 567 fused I am hurting so bad I just gad done on the 7th holy crap all this does sound so good I am an over the road truck driver
I was in a car accident in June of this year... I have herniated/ruptured discs at C5-6 and C6-7, my doctor told me surgery was the only option... I went through physical therapy and an injection into my disc spaces... 1.  I will not let anyone operate on my freaking neck, 2. I will never get one of those dumb *** injections again, waster of money and did nothing for me.  The best thing I have found is strengthening my neck muscles and resting my head when I need to.  My neck gets "tired" and I have to rest my head by the end of the day.  I have numbness, tingling and burning sensations down my left side through my shoulder, down my arm and into my finger tips... starting to get it on the right side... I would rather live with this than let some butcher cut me open and make it worse... no freaking way!!!!!
I have had numerous surgeries on my lower back and neck. This is very common. Especially if you have the deteriorating disc disorder. I have a fusion on the C2 & C3 and within two years the symptoms that I had pre-surgery came back. This is due to the discs just deteriorating and the next vertebrae  starts rubbing on the next vertebrae. it gives a grinding sound and sometimes it gets stuck where I have to take both of my hands and jerk my skull the opposite way of it being stuck, just to get it back to functioning. What is really intolerable is the headaches that feel like lightning bolts running from my neck to the front of my skull. It even shoots like lightning bolts to the back of my eyeball. Nothing like a migraine in the eyeball. It's a form of torture. I ask God what the heck did I do to deserve this kind of abuse, there must be a reason because it has disabled me and the S.S.D.I. doesn't believe that I can have this much pain at the ripe old age of 51.  I've been getting treatments for my spine since 1995 and I've paid for a couple of summer homes for the doctor's treating me. I'm too young to feel like I'm 85. Anyway, hang in there and have the doctor take a look at it and get yourself an M.R.I. to get some answers to your questions. If you wait too long it's going to make it worse. It's amazing all of the new techniques that they HAVE NOW. If and when you do have to get cut open, have a neurosurgeon do it. The spine is their specialty so have one of them do it. Mine is a great doctor and seems like a very nice, genuine person outside of the doctor's office. Good luck to you. The symptoms you have, I had the same thing happen and it became inevitable to get cut open and I've had 3 fusions in my neck, and 4 fusion's in my Lumbar area. They're all going (my discs) so that they will meet it the middle of my back and then I won't be able to move once they get them all taken care of. What are they gonna be able to do for me after that??
Hi my name is Cassie. My fiancee Mark was just diagnoised with a Frature between c2and c7. The worst being c5 through 7. The doctor said he will be needing surgery. I have no idea what this intails. Can someone please let me know what to expect with the surgery. He ia taking the news pretty hard. I would love to hear from someone. He was diagnoised on october 29 2013... thanks. ...
Hi, I have had two neck surgery's and still have pain, in fact it is worse. neck, hand, underarm, arm pain is intolerable. In pain management now, nothing they can do. Just have to live with it. It is terrible.
I just happen to stumble across this site as I was looking for exercises I could do for muscle strengthening a little over one year post op.  I had a cervical fusion at levels 4-5-6 in October of 2012.  Don't know what caused my damage but at the time of my surgery I was having severe muscle spasms in my left arm and hand, numbness and tingling in both upper extremities, barely no rotation in my neck, and the pain during minimal exercise was unbearable.  I really had no choice at the time it was either pain management or surgery.  The option of injections or other conservative treatment was not even discussed because my situation was just that bad.  I opted for the fusion using donor tissue and the bone stimulator and I have had great success.  My only problem is slight left shoulder pain which should diminish with strengthening exercises.  So, to everyone out there experiencing issues, pain, problems, etc., I wish you good luck in trying to get some resolution.  
Ceefairy
I have had three neck surgeries in the last for years. I have had c2-c7 fused together.  He is looking at a rough road ahead and honestly the is a good chance that he will still be in a lot of pain even after the surgery.  I still have the numbness, tingling, and burning sensation down my left arm and also still have migraines but will have to say they are not as often as before the surgeries.  I wish him luck and hope its a success.
Hi, just want to say I hate there are so many people in pain with neck problems, however its nice to know I am not alone.  No one around me has neck problems so they dont understand.  I am fairly young..low. But I have had three neck surgeries in the past four years...I now am fused from c2 - c7. Thw pain gwt s better for a little while then it starts again.  I am like the most of you on the pain meds, muscle relaxers, and migraine meds. Bit again its not even been a year since my last surgery and its all starting again.  Can't sleep because of numbness, tingling, and burning down my left arm.  If I actually do to much down with migraine for days.  I know I need to go to doc but honestly I am scared to I mean what else could be wrong there is nothing else to fuse and been told that all fusions took.  I am like most of you just looming for some relief but sure nice to find people who understand when I say !y head is heavy.
Hey, I really would like someone who understands what I am going through to message me.  I think it would help, no one in my life understands and its hard to keep my spirits up at times.  I feel like I am fighting a loosing battle.  Since my first neck fusion in 09' it has been hard and have had two more surgeries since.  Now I have c2-c7 fused and in pain all the time. Anyway sure could use a friend...thanks.
thats right i also am having alot of pain in my neck from c5 and c6 surgury
It is great to hear someone is having such sucess! I'm glad you are doing so well.  

For me, I have had severe migraines since 3 yrs old and finally diagnosed at 40!with Chiari, which I had surgery to fix (no disrespect to anyone else, but I was in and out of hospital in less than 48 hrs and back to work in 5 days). I had C1 removed, 1/2 of c2 and decompression. Supposed to be in NICU for 4 days, but I did so well I came home early. Headaches and cerebral hypertension, seizures, etc, Gone! Then exactly 365 days later, girl funs red light and we hit her. Even with seat belt head snapped forward. Headaches returned two fold! So, C3-C4 fusion in Nov. still not a big deal for me at that time, but headaches continued and bulging discs at other discs. 3/17/14 this year had C5-C7 plating, discectomy, fusion (now about 7 weeks later).

Of all of the surgeries I have had and migraines (broke my nose and reset it myself in 1999, so I don't consider myself super sensitive to pain), this surgery has by far been the most painful and hardest to recover from. I work part time from home for an hour or 2, but that exhausts me. Neck spasms are so bad I have stood in hot shower and cried, which is NOT usual for me. Doc says everything ok, just multi level is more difficult, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this much pain. I am still taking pain meds, but try to save for night so I can sleep, (NEVER taken pain meds for more than 1 day in my life) I walk everyday, have followed docs orders to T and still cannot hardly move.  Last appt, he thinks I will be out of work at least part time for 18 weeks or more!  Jeez. Not released to drive yet, and still and hard collar during day and soft at night.  

Am I crazy? Am I just being a cry baby? Holy cow but this hurts!  Oh, and am 49, but zero health problems and non smoker. Only good news has been I have only had 2 migraines in 7 weeks, which was one if main reasons for surgery.

Any suggestions? Does it get better? Thanks for letting me vent!
Hey, you're the first person that I've heard of who also has eye issues. My eyes deteriorated really fast after three level fusion (C7-C3), but I still can get by with strong drugstore glasses. The thing is, that my eyes change from day to day. It seems to depend on what I have had to turn, twist or pull on, resulting in some of the non-fused vertebrae shifting. Sometimes my vision is very blurry, but might change later in the day. I read about a kid who actually became blind at one point, but with an adjustment to his spine his vision returned. Could be bunk, or phony promotion for Chiropractors, but I tend to believe it because of the situation with my own vision. All of the doctors who I was brave enough to tell about this, didn't seem to believe a word that I said!! My neck is fused so far back in a curve that to stand upright like I used to I would be looking towards the sky. The fusion wasn't even necesary, as the real problem was slipping at the level just below the three level fusion.Ego made the surgeon do the deed. He killed me, I'm just not dead yet. I can only sleep a few hours a night at the most, and the deterioration from this and constant pain from the crummy position of my neck, has worn me out and turned this VERY healthy person (except for slipping at T1-C7) into a miserable person with constant, new little health problems that stack up added to the neck and make life tough to want to continue with sometimes.
Anatomically, the optic nerve is nowhere near the spine, which makes it difficult to correlate your spinal fusion with vision changes.

My vision began to fail in my late 30s from presbyopia and I began to required correction about age 40.

Could this be what's going on with you?

Why are doctors allowed to continue this butchery??? They have accurate ways to measure knees for personal fit replacements, they have 3D programs to view the heart ect. Why isn't there any computer program to accurately measure a persons cervical spine before they are allowed to hack away on us and ruin our lives? These doctors can be callous people who have cheated on exams, done date rape, made fun of people and bodies as they progress through the medical system. When they are finally established they are exclusive except to their peers. They stroke each others egos at conventions and in published articles, while we are cast aside and left to die or live in misery, after the insurance money is collected. Am I not correct about this? Really I am the walking dead thanks to my incompetent, greedy, egotistical, lying  surgeon.
Awesome! Thank you so much for the positive out look. I as well went down in the canyons 3 years ago with major injuries as well as a fusion on c6 & c7!  I refused to give up and be a slave to pain pill! I got back on my bike kawi zx6r and love to ride!  You find a way to deal with the pain and keep moving!  Just rode the waves on my boogie board for the first time in 3 years it was awesome.  Going to learn hiw to surf this summer as well. Looking forward to ski in the winter and msbye learning to snow board as well. Btw in 47 and plan in living the rest of what time I have left doing whst I love to do having fun .
thank you again you are awesome take care :))
Yep the positive out look is good. I can't do many of the things that I used to do, ski, ride horses, a bike yes but really risky because of post fusion balance issues. My problem is that the three level fusion surgery was done on a part of my neck that didn't really need it, and would have been better served with a flexible artificial disc at the level below the fusion. However the fusion that was done is way too curved, and is a standard for that surgery. It is a 20 to 30 degree curve, or in my case an angle from the angle of the screws that are in my neck.. There is a 20 to 30 degree curve in a penny, but who would want their neck forced into such a tight curve? What I hope that people are warned about is accepting this generic standard for treating neck pain that is not helped with physical therapy or drug treatments. I don;t take ANY pain meds, because I can't stand living in some foggy altered state and with no real help for pain, because the cause of the pain is the permanence of the acute fusion. Does everyone have a size 7M foot? How would you like to wear the wrong size shoe for the rest of your life? That would eventually effect almost everything else about your health. from the pain, sleeplessness, worry and general taking away the pleasure of life from the effects of it. What the problem seems to be is that the treatment for compressed discs, neck pain and so forth is not further along in it's accuracy, experience, or outcome related information. More people have cancer and heart problems than neck problems, so I would assume that studying neck problems doesn't get as much funding or attention. What I said above still holds true, the surgeon did ruin my life, I could no longer work -the reason, mostly that I went for the surgery; was told- " I can fix that.", so that I could go back to work, lost my truck, my car, my income, my money my husband, the house that I lived in and in many cases my credibility, because I looked just fine, like a big, healthy bruiser in fact, so hardly anyone that saw me really believes that there is anything much wrong with me; I'm a whiner, a complainer and lazy. I say to myself-"You try living with 24 hr a day pain, 2 to 5 hours of sleep a night for five tears, living on a tiny income and losing every normal part of life that you had built over most of a life time." Even my siblings don't get it. I rarely talk about this to anyone, because who wants to hear it? I'm just hoping that anyone else that has neck pain, gets a second and third opinion, and goes to a surgeon in a populated area, so has lots of experience and doesn't just do a generic fusion on your neck! I can still walk almost anywhere, and have been a painting fool, so yes I have taken some of my life back and get pleasure from a few things. Chocolate.
Wondering how you are doing had tri level fusion in 2012 of May Ben a nightmare since
Hi my name is Vicky,I had my surgery on 08/11/2014 for yhe c5 &6 i had alot before my surgery it was hard for me to look down,when I would pick my head up it would feel like a load and my eft arm would hurt so bad that I could not pick it up.
well after surgery I had a hard time swallowing but after a week I was fine.I did not have to use a neck brace. the nurse just told me to move my neck slowly to the left and to the right and pivk my arms up .so thats what I have ben doing but I still have pain on my left shoulder  going down a little to my arm and I cant sleep sometimes on my left side.I will be calling my doctor for this but in the mean time I feel ok but I am never going to go thur this again.I am taking tylenol extra stregth for now
I live in Australia if had a fusion in lower back in 2000 the doctor said he was not operate on my neck untill I lost the use in my left arm the operation on my back worked but my neck is giving me a lot of pain now last week I got a cp scan the family doc said me neck is really bad not to have an op and if eny one say they can fix it run a mile as I hade a fusion on my lower back worked it like being between a rock and a hard place I don't no what to do I know the desicion is mine but it the hardest desicion I've ever made when the pain get to a level 12 out of 10 I want to operate when it esas I don't want to trevor
I had surgery 9/25/2014 on c4,5,6 since my neck is always uncomfortable and I also experience the numbness down to my toes the doctor told me it has nothing to do with the surgery and my eyesight has been affected also I feel like i struggle to see frequently. Glad to hear Im not the only one!
Viewing 201-232 comments: