Orthopedics Community
No surgery for complete patellar tendon repair?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

No surgery for complete patellar tendon repair?

I am an active 57 year old competitive tennis player who ruptured the right knee patellar tendon May 23 2009. I had surgery June 3, 2009 and, subsquently, incurred a MRSA infection. I was admitted to the hospital and the sutures removed because of the infection. I was on various antibiotics until July 1 and it appears the MRSA has been abated. The patellar tendon, however, is still ruptured but I am able to raise my leg. I go to physical therapy and I'm trying to increase the flex to 90. It's about 30 now.   My surgeon stated that I may not have to have surgery since I can raise my leg, walk, and increase flexion. Everthing I have read indicated surgery for the rupture is a must for a return to active living. By the way, I ruptured the left one 15 years ago and it wasurgiocally repaired by the same doctor and it's 95% functioning.
Have any of you experienced nonsurgical repair of a complete patellar tendon rupture?