No surgery for complete patellar tendon repair?
I am an active 57 year old competitive tennis player who ruptured the right knee patellar tendon May 23 2009. I had surgery June 3, 2009 and, subsquently, incurred a MRSA infection. I was admitted to the hospital and the sutures removed because of the infection. I was on various antibiotics until July 1 and it appears the MRSA has been abated. The patellar tendon, however, is still ruptured but I am able to raise my leg. I go to physical therapy and I'm trying to increase the flex to 90. It's about 30 now.   My surgeon stated that I may not have to have surgery since I can raise my leg, walk, and increase flexion. Everthing I have read indicated surgery for the rupture is a must for a return to active living. By the way, I ruptured the left one 15 years ago and it wasurgiocally repaired by the same doctor and it's 95% functioning.
Have any of you experienced nonsurgical repair of a complete patellar tendon rupture?
Hello!

Sure, you should always go for conservative treatment.
If it fails surgery is always an option.

We would agree with your treating doctor and would stress on your PT. It is nice to hear about your recovery after the MRSA episode and it will take quite a bit of time but stick to the PT religiously.

Take care!