Orthopedics Community
Nodules in palm -- tenosynovitis?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Nodules in palm -- tenosynovitis?

I have a nodule on my left palm, under my little finger, just above the crease at the palm.

There is a clear swelling in the area obvious on touching and is sensitive to pressure. Gripping things tightly  or pressing the nodule causes pain. I do not appear to have any limitations in mobility of the finger at the moment although there are the few occasional moments when I have felt some discomfort while typing.

My GP believes it is a swelling of the tendon and sheath which is a precursor to trigger finger. She has referred me to a hand specialist and believes that it is likely I will be offered a steriod injection for the condition.

I have two questions:
a) I was under the impression that tenosynovitis normally manifests in the form of difficulties to straighten or flex the finger. I have no such problems. Could it still be a tenosynovitis problem?
b) If it is early stages of tenosynovitis, would splinting/physical therapy be a viable alternative treatment? I have heard that there are some risks involved in steriod injections.

Just some background, I am a 35 year old female with very active use of hands. I type a great deal as a result of work but also do a fair amount of rowing, motorcycling, tennis and manual work which involves a lot of gripping under pressure.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.