Orthopedics Community
Non Union of distal fibula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Non Union of distal fibula

Hi.
I recently had ankle surgery (20/12/07), ORIF + Bone graft to my distal fibula. This was undertaken after non union. I initailly broke my ankle 11/08/07.
I was put in an aircast after week 2, but told not to weight bear at all.  I'm due my 6 week check up soon.  What are the chances of non union again and worst of all what happens (worst case scenario) and it doesn't unite?
thx

How are you feeling?
I assume by saying ORIF you mean to say Open Reduction and Internal Fixation.
I assume with the help of bone graft with open reduction and internal fixation, there are no chances that you would have non-union.
In case you find on imaging study that you are still having non-union, I think you need to follow-up regularly with your surgeon and get imaging study done regularly. You can take help of physiotherapy.
Lastly you can also try Bone stimulation therapy.
Keep me informed if you have any queries.
Bye.
Is a bone graft similar to an allograft transplant?  My orthopedist recommended one for me and I don't know anyone who has had one.
Hi.
Yeah, I believe it's the same. It was my own bone used.  I had it taken from my heal.  I was giving a nerve block which lasted 18 hours or so...  I needed the graft as my bone just wouldn't heal!!!  Go this Wednesday for my 6 week x ray, cant wait!! Fingers crossed
How are you feeling? I like your name which you have selected as screen name. What is your name?
Bone graft says that the tissue required for graft is bone.
Well-stabilized atrophic non-unions are treated with bone grafting.
Bone graft may be autograft, allograft, or synthetic.
The fracture nonunion should be exposed and curetted, and the bone ends should be burred back to bleeding, viable bone.
Bone graft material then is packed into the nonunion.
Autograft is a tissue material taken from patient itself. Recipient and donor is same. Allograft is like taking tissue material from another matched donor.
Bye.