Orthopedics Community
Non-surgical Bow Legged Correction

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Non-surgical Bow Legged Correction

Hello I am 18 years old and am slightly bow legged. My dad is bow legged and I got it from him - it its never really been a serious problem, although sometimes I get knee pain after running. There's no pain or difficulty walking; however, I don't like the way it looks and as my dad gets older I notice he has difficulty walking and severe joint pain.

I know that there's surgery that can solve this, but I want to know if there are any types of exercises or stretches or anything short of having to get surgery that will help to correct this problem that I can try first.  
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You can opt for "YOGA"
Seeking quick results is not a good idea. it takes 2 years of training for couple of  hours a day before legs could withstand the challenge.

There are no guideline on how long to hold the turn out poses - triangle and warrior II - only to say that you want to increase your stamina to as long as you can feel the outer hips - abductors getting stronger and the inner thighs - adductors releasing.

Discuss this with a YOGA specialist. Take care!
yoga wouldnt gonna help bow legged problem invasive surgecal procedure with is quite effective at all took about 9months or so and yoga who is for breathing mostly you think can help well its really will not for sure pilatis is more on stretching the body but still not recommendable as I think.. its better if theres doctor who would do bracing that is not surgically involve well thats the best I also got slight bow leg and I also want to be under non-surgical bracing for bow leg if theres something like that available
hi im bowlegged to and im 14 i went to the doctors because of my joint pain and he told me they could fix it so i too matters into my own hands and i found out there are knee braces that can help correct bowlegs im am not sure if they work properly because im still wating for mine to arrive so i hope they work and i hope this helped!
I was born severely bow legged. When I was 3 years old I got leg braces and I had to wear them for a while and I was really ashamed for people to see me in them so when my mother wasn't around I took them off. Now I am 31 years old and I am paying the price for it. I have knee pain everyday, my right leg is crooked and it is the most painful. I don't have health insurance so I can't get the help I need. I am still hoping one day that I can be pain free so I can finish what i started 4 years ago. Cosmetology school. So I recommend if you are gonna get braces wear them all day everyday. :)