Orthopedics Community
Non union Tibia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Non union Tibia

4652434?1247453977
I had a spiral fracture on my right leg that broke both the tibia and the fibula bones in June of 08. The orthopedic surgeon put plates and screws to hold the bones in place to heal. The fibula bone healed quick. My leg swelled alot and the pain kept getting worse instead of better. Went to ask the ortho sergeon about the pain and some bumps. After two visits of him telling me bumps were stitches he took a culture which came back positive with MRSA staff infection. I was rushed to the hospital for a couple of weeks and on IV antibiotics for three months and antibiotic pills for five months. The hardware on the fibula had to be removed due to the infection at this time also (August). It was apparent the bone was not healing any more also. I started using a ultrasound bone stimulator and still no new growth. All the while the leg hurt and swelled constantly and found three broken screws on the hardware in december. Went in and put more screws in the tibia at that time. I was sent back to work in february and told to live with all the constant pain and the dr could not help me. I went and got a second opinion and was told the bone was a non union and would need a bone graft and the hardware replaced. This was done in May of 09. It has been over a year now and I am wondering if anybody else has been through anything like this. I am wondering what to expect really and if my bone will heal and I can walk normal again.