Orthopedics Community
Non union fibula fracture

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

Non union fibula fracture

4126923?1237920850
On August 8th of 2008 I fell off a cliff while camping. I ended up with a severe compound fracture to my lower leg. My Tibia seperated from my ankle/foot almost completely severing my foot. I shattered the 2 inside ankle bones and snapped my fibula in half. It was a very jagged break. That night I had my first surgery putting a plate on my fibula with 7 screws and 2 large screws going through the 2 inner ankle bones and up through the tibia. During my 2 months in the hospital I had 2 more surgeries, one to clean out the left over debri and a skin graft. In Jan 09 I was starting to walk with crutches but then started having severe pain. When I went to the Dr he said the ankle was healed but the fibula stopped healling. So On Feb. 19th I had an O.R.I.F. plus a bone graft with a cadavor bone. 2 weeks after surgery I got bandaging off and dr said all looked ok except 4 2 areas draining a bit and to watch that. By that weeks end I was in ER with localized infection. I was put on IV antibiotics in ER then sent home on clindomyacin. By the end of 10 day dose I still had drainage that turned yellow and started having severe ankle/leg pain. I went in and Dr said he would need to do An I &D and hardware removal, scheduled for march 31st. This was all with out an x ray done except for in the ER. Which the ER radiologist questioned a bone infection. So now I am wondering, will this heal now that he plans to take the hardware and bone graft out? There is a good 1/2 in gap between the bones. Are there any other possibilities to get this bone going on the road to healing??? I have heard I can be fine with out a healed fibula but how will that affect my walking? I have not had a bone stimulator done at any point during this. Please help! I am desperate for answers!
ORIF/ Free Flat non union pilon fracture
by winciso

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

winciso
Member since Mar 2009  

Hello
I am passing almost for the same deal. HERE is my history. I hope everything will go fine. I will have a sew harware placed ORIF on 4/23/09 in UCLA.

, Mar 12, 2009 05:03AM
I am 51 y/o withh/o pilon fracture with ORIF and free flat done 18 months ago. Now a CT scan reported non union and screw is lossing with metal plate broken and possible infection. Problem and pain walking recommende to be on NWB. I am recommended to go for another surgery with an ortho traumna surgeon for protein bone implant  or bone graph. It looks that I have to do this procedure . If you know were I should go or any thing to make my outcome better, please let me know . I was told to go to Cedars Sinai. My previuos surgery was done at USC hospital.
write me to my email< ***@****