Non union fibula fracture
On August 8th of 2008 I fell off a cliff while camping. I ended up with a severe compound fracture to my lower leg. My Tibia seperated from my ankle/foot almost completely severing my foot. I shattered the 2 inside ankle bones and snapped my fibula in half. It was a very jagged break. That night I had my first surgery putting a plate on my fibula with 7 screws and 2 large screws going through the 2 inner ankle bones and up through the tibia. During my 2 months in the hospital I had 2 more surgeries, one to clean out the left over debri and a skin graft. In Jan 09 I was starting to walk with crutches but then started having severe pain. When I went to the Dr he said the ankle was healed but the fibula stopped healling. So On Feb. 19th I had an O.R.I.F. plus a bone graft with a cadavor bone. 2 weeks after surgery I got bandaging off and dr said all looked ok except 4 2 areas draining a bit and to watch that. By that weeks end I was in ER with localized infection. I was put on IV antibiotics in ER then sent home on clindomyacin. By the end of 10 day dose I still had drainage that turned yellow and started having severe ankle/leg pain. I went in and Dr said he would need to do An I &D and hardware removal, scheduled for march 31st. This was all with out an x ray done except for in the ER. Which the ER radiologist questioned a bone infection. So now I am wondering, will this heal now that he plans to take the hardware and bone graft out? There is a good 1/2 in gap between the bones. Are there any other possibilities to get this bone going on the road to healing??? I have heard I can be fine with out a healed fibula but how will that affect my walking? I have not had a bone stimulator done at any point during this. Please help! I am desperate for answers!
ORIF/ Free Flat non union pilon fracture
by winciso

Leave a Note
Send Message
Add as Friend

winciso
Member since Mar 2009  

Hello
I am passing almost for the same deal. HERE is my history. I hope everything will go fine. I will have a sew harware placed ORIF on 4/23/09 in UCLA.

, Mar 12, 2009 05:03AM
I am 51 y/o withh/o pilon fracture with ORIF and free flat done 18 months ago. Now a CT scan reported non union and screw is lossing with metal plate broken and possible infection. Problem and pain walking recommende to be on NWB. I am recommended to go for another surgery with an ortho traumna surgeon for protein bone implant  or bone graph. It looks that I have to do this procedure . If you know were I should go or any thing to make my outcome better, please let me know . I was told to go to Cedars Sinai. My previuos surgery was done at USC hospital.
write me to my email< ***@****