Orthopedics Community
Not sure if I broke or sprained my thumb

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

A week ago I was play fighting with my friend and I went to hit him and he blocked it and hit my thumb pretty hard.  I didn't have a closed fist I was just sort of tryin to slap him a little, so it got hit like pushed into my palm...the first knuckle (closer to the tip) got bent way too far in and there were broken blood vessels, and the second knuckle also got pushed in towards my thumb but it wasn't hurt as badly.  Well the next day it was swollen and stiff and painful...i could barely move it and couldn't grip anything, i just kept dropping things.  But there was only slight bruising.  The bruising went away by the next day and mobility has slowly been coming back but it still hurts.  I really don't want to go to the doctor over it, I don't have insurance and I know they wouldn't do much other than tape it or put it in a splint, but I'm just dying of curiosity as to whether I sprained or broke it.

So if I broke it, would I KNOW?  It hurt SOOOO bad when it happened but I was really drunk so I didn't realize how bad it was and I kept fighting, arm wrestling, lol...just tormenting my poor thumb.

I've been trying to baby it but you need your thumb more than you think!  And I keep forgetting it and then hurting it again.

My guess is it's only a sprain, but it feels like I broke it because it hurts on the bone between the two knuckles, right in the middle, and it feels like the whole bone is pushed forward (as in, if i had my palm and fingers facing the ground, the bone is pushed closer to the ground)
Tags: sports, bone