Orthopedics Community
OA in the ankle

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

OA in the ankle

hey there
I am 47yr, old female & I have been recently diagnosed with mild OA in the left ankle.
(due to child hood fracture)
This a new condition for me,  I seemed to have really aggravated it by using the tread mill excessively by fast walking around 6 miles a day, I took the incline down due to the pain it was causing in the ankle.  I now have the walking backed down to 3-4  miles
at night.      
.  
I have been to PT recently to try to strengthen the ankle & have been doing the exercises given, the ankle is not as sore as much, but still has noticeable swelling when I am on it too long or wear the wrong type of shoe.  

I quess the questions, how will I know when the ankle has been strengthen?
When there no more pain?  no more noticeable swelling?  
I am very eager to get my daily walking mileage up & not worry about the condition returning.
Also, do you recommend taking any kind of supplements (Omega -3) for the bones?

thanks for any input
jen        
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Pain will be a symptom but you have  to know the tolerable limits and should not exert more that that.Slowly with time and Physio your pain perception will decrease and you will be able to exert yourself and this should be slow and continous, Take care!