Orthopedics Community
OPEN SHOULDER SURGERY POST OP PAIN

This patient support community is for discussions relating to orthopedics, back pain, bone or joint pain, broken bones, hip or knee replacement, neck and shoulder pain, orthopedic surgery, spinal injury, sports injury, and tennis elbow.

OPEN SHOULDER SURGERY POST OP PAIN

2 weeks ago I had an open shoulder surgery for dislocation {over 125+} I also have fibromyalgia{but haven't had any flare ups in months before & this doesn't seem like any flare up I had. Since the surgery the pain hasn't lessened by much even on the Vicodin ES I was given which I take with Motrin 800 & Flexeral.I average 2hr sleep before I awaken from the pain It can be compared to how it used to feel when it was dislocated {though it is not} or how it would feel when they put it back in there is also burning pain that I feel that goes to the bone the incision is healing fine no discharge & almost closed up.

But I wanted to know is this pain normal to have this long?My surgeon doesn't acknowledge my fibromyalgia & brushes me off & it is hard to book an appointment or get advice & his staff is very rude as well.So hopefully I get some answers on this thank you in advance {My next appt with him is May 15 to start physical therapy}
Hi there!

It is common to experience pain/ discomfort following a surgery. This occurs due to the associated inflammation and is likely to subside with time in a few weeks as healing takes place and inflammation subsides. Meanwhile it is advised to continue with the prescribed pain/ anti-inflammatory medication to help relieve the pain. Physiotherapy should be initiated as scheduled.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your response